Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcocked 15# turkey?

Options
DWFII
DWFII Posts: 317
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
...tomorrow!

Need some pointers here, please.

Should I do it with the platesetter in? And a drip pan?

Or direct, high in the dome? And a drip pan.

350° 375° ? For how long?

thanks
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Size of the egg? You can do it either raised direct or using a platesetter. I don’t use smoking wood with Turkey usually.
  • DWFII
    Options
    Thank you for the reply.

I've an LBGE which I just recently resurrected/ brought back from the dead.
    Instagram
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    If you can cook it raised direct, that would work, otherwise I would go indirect.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I usually go raised indirect with a drip pan so I can use the drippings in gravy.  If you don’t want to catch drippings, raised direct would be fine. Here’s a past post of mine with a 15.5 lb bird that includes time and temp for reference: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170689/short-ribs-spatched-turkey
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Thank you for the reply.

I've an LBGE which I just recently resurrected/ brought back from the dead.
    Then it is plenty large. The breast needs to reach 155F and the legs at least 165F . It is best to point the legs to the back hinge which is the hotter side of the grill. I don’t flip the bird. Mickey’s Coffee Rub is a good choice.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Do you have a WAG as to the cooking time?  At that size and temps, my WAG is somewhere around 1.5-2 hours.  I'd use a drip pan and put coarsely chopped onion, celery, maybe whole baby carrots, a small (~6-8oz) bottle of chardonay and an equal or greater amount of water, and a few cloves of garlic.  These will add flavor to the bird, make a nice veggie side dish, and provide liquid that can be used to make gravy or stuffing.
  • DWFII
    Options
    I don't know what WAG is...
    Instagram
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Wild ass guess 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DWFII
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Wild ass guess 
    Thanks.

My WAG would be 2 hrs at 350°-375°.

Think I'll' do 3" elevated with the platesetter and a drip pan.
    Instagram
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Indirect at 350 on this 15# turkey took 2 hours!
  • vegas slim
    vegas slim Posts: 92
    Options
    Indirect at 350 on this 15# turkey took 2 hours!
    looks damn good did you use any smoke?
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I did my first one raised direct, but feel like I get more consistent results indirect (and still get crispy skin). I second the Mickey's coffee rub recommendation and I like a little cherry wood, which adds some nice color without overpowering the bird.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    I am an aluminum foil guy that covers the plate setter and does not catch drippings and then pitches the foil at the end of the smoke.  We like a little cherry and apple wood.   I spatchcock and indirect cook around 280 minimum to 350; I don't get to concerned about temp on a spatchcocked turkey.  When the egg temp settles it is all good.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.
    Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.
    Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
    NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• kindaquick14
    Options
    :o  That thing looks gorgeous!  Nice job on the cook!  The color is amazing!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE