Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Knoxville

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
It looks like I may have an opportunity to relocate to the Knoxville area. I really don’t know much about the area other than it’s pretty and the color orange is a local favorite. I’m guessing they like BBQ. Anyone from East Tennessee that can school me?
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Possumtrot @The_Stache both lived up there. 

I went to school up there for undergrad. I will PM you later. Gotta get some dinner going. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Pretty good foodie town. Not so much for bbq. There’s a couple of good places in the  Bristol area for that. 
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    I've lived here, in Knoxville since 1999.  it has changed a lot since then.  downtown has definitely improved.   it has a bunch of restaurants, bars, and live music venues.  the most popular areas of town for living are the Powell area and west Knoxville.  West Knox is definitely nice.  it's got lots of shopping and restaurants but also has higher property values.  a similar home can be bought in Powell much cheaper.  most of what you'll want to do for shopping & entertainment will either be done in west Knox or downtown.  there are several lakes in the area within a 30 minute drive.  the Tennessee river basically starts in Knoxville and winds down from here.  Fort Loudoun lake (TN river) runs the width of knoxville.  there's a ton of homes on the lake, but it's definitely pricey.  we moved from Charlotte and immediately noticed the difference in the friendliness in the people.  we've since had our 2 sons and most of our extended family has moved here.  the taxes are incredibly cheap.  I'm a huge fisherman & like i said before, there are a ton of choices lakes.  I've lived overseas and up and down the east coast and wouldn't pick anywhere else to live.  good luck with your decision.  message me if you have any questions!
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    We lived in Knoxville for eight years, but have been gone for twenty -three.  Knoxville is still one of my favorite places.  I need a Litton's burger and piece of red velvet cake.
    Oh and Go Vols!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Teefus
    Options
    Now for an important question....

I see there are are a number of BGE dealers. Is Rockwood charcoal available anywhere locally?
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Downtown is a lot of fun now.  Lots of unique restaurants and bars.  Sutriees High Gravity bar is my favorite bar, but lots of good places.  Not so much BBQ as stated above, but still lots of good and unique places.

As for Rockwood, Ace has you covered.  
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    I am from Knoxville, raised in West Knoxville got married and move to the east side of the county. Chesapeake is good Seafood, The Peddler in Gatlinburg has great steaks. Otts barbeque in Dixie Lee Junction does good Carolina style pulled pork Big Eds pizza in Oak Ridge is solid. Loved living on the East side of town, Corryton- Gibbs area. Kenny Chesney went to school with my brother in law. Good trout fishing in the Clinch river. If Ye Olde Steakhouse has reopened it is solid. Golfing there is half what it cost in metro Atlanta. Calhoun on the River used to have a good 1/2 rack of ribs and fried catfish combo, and definitively try their spinach Marie, only way I eat spinach ! Lots to do, biking in the Smokies, Joyce Kilmer national forest are great in the fall and winter. Downtown Market Square and Fourth and Gill have good restaurants. My Grandfather was one of the carpenters that built the Tennessee Theatre downtown. Hope you enjoy it if you move there !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Scruggs Bbq on Magnolia avenue is good stuff !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have had some great tailgates up there at football games. Never located any good que....but some mighty fine beverages were had.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Stock up on some Allegra. The pollen is rough up there. 
  • BGEFest
    BGEFest Posts: 8
    Options
    Live here now. I relocated three years ago and I like it better than I thought I would. It is a good area. It has died down a little bit but the real estate market hot here. If it is a good house in the right location it does not stay on the market long. There is some decent BBQ here. Pretty cool egg place called the Grill Store. I dont feel as if I live in a college town and that is nice. TN and Bijou theater are pretty cool. Downtown and Central Ave are really improving. Magic happens outside of your comfort zone. Good luck.
  • Teefus
    Options
    Can't be worse than where I am now. I back up into the woods and have to power wash the tree pollen off my deck every year. There is a stand of pines at the entrance to my neighborhood and if the wind blows at the right time it looks like clouds of yellow smoke coming off them. Thankfully I have no allergies.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Can't be worse than where I am now. I back up into the woods and have to power wash the tree pollen off my deck every year. There is a stand of pines at the entrance to my neighborhood and if the wind blows at the right time it looks like clouds of yellow smoke coming off them. Thankfully I have no allergies.
    KnoxVegas is always in the Top Ten Worst Cities for Allergies. 

Wash the pollen off of the deck every year? It’s every day or every other day here in Georgia. 
  • ccrocke9
    ccrocke9 Posts: 12
    Options
    Was in Knoxville for my undergrad and visit often. Downtown Grill and Brewery is and always will be my go to spot. Great food and atmosphere but even better in-house brewed beer. Can join their Mug Club for ~$30 and get 20 oz mugs for the price of a pint and special deals on certain days.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Great city except for all the orange.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    That’s one of the best parts! =)
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.