Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water to table: Bigeye brawl

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
I had four people pm me asking when I was going to post a “Water to table” thread in the last two weeks. Since I guess they have been missed, here was this weekends adventure:

We left dock at 3:12 am. 3 min before schedule. We headed out on glass calm seas for the first time in a long, long time. It was going to be about a 3 hr ride out, so we settled in running at a comfortable 26 knots. We were headed to a waypoint 78 miles out where satellite pictures showed there was a warm water eddy off the gulfstream with a sharp 4-6 degree temperature break along with a sharp contrast in chlorophyll along a shelf to one of the canyons. We knew it was out there but with a 12 hr delay in the satellite shot, would we find it?

We arrived to see greenish blue water.  Hmmmm not good.
We saw some life: skipjack and flying fish, so we gave it a shot for 30 minutes.  Nothing, so we moved.

We ran for about 10 min north, and there we found the weed line, temperature break, and the water turned more blue. We were headed to a notch in the canyon, but decided to throttle back and give it a whirl short of the target. We trolled for 45 minutes along that line and did not get a knockdown. We pointed the boat north to that notch, and in 15 minutes things started to look better: the blue became cobalt blue, we saw tuna chicks flying, a few sharks and sunfish, but still no bites. 
Finally off in the distance, which according to the electronics, was right at that notch, we saw mammals: porpoise and pilot whales. Bingo!! 

As we came up on them, the females with their calf’s were “snorkeling”:  waiting for the males to push the bait they were rounding up 500-600 feet below us (we could see it on our sounder.)  We decided to stay in a 1/4 mile circle waiting for it to happen. 
Then it did. 
The sea became alive:
The big bubbles came up.  
Then a half dozen pilots came to the surface in a rush getting a badly needed breath of air, porpoise were jumping, tuna chicks dancing on the water picking up scraps, and there were flashes of color down below. The whales were happy and feeding as the squid shot by like mini torpedos swimming for their lives. 
There was so much energy in the water you could feel it in your bones.

We almost forgot we were fishing. 

Seconds later the first reel goes off ZZZZZZZ..... then the second... then the third....  “”Fish on!!!!” Is being yelled. “Clear the lines!!”
As we went to reel in those that did not have fish on them, those lines got hit.  Move onto the next rod- that one gets hit... it was mayhem!
Fish are crashing the bait with splashes like cars are being dropped in the water behind the boat. Within 30 or so seconds, 8 of 10 lines are hooked up and reels are screaming in pain as line is coming off faster than anyone could possibly wind it on. We throttle back and clear the 2 lines that did not get hooked.

We settle in as much as we can when you have 8 hooked fish and 6 people on board. We were mobbed by a school of tuna. As I was fighting a fish, when I was not gaining line on that one, I was reeling in another line from a rod in a holder.
Insanity.
For the next 45 min we were doing the tuna tango not knowing for sure the type of tuna we had on. People handing rods over and under other people’s rods. Forward, back, side to side....  I wish I had pictures, but it was pure glorious chaos.  

Then one came in the boat. A bigeye tuna!  We had bigeyes on!!  Excitement builds even more. These are arguably the hardest fighting tuna pound for pound. They will test every part of your equipment and find its weakest point be it knots, frayed line, a weak drag, or poor technique - they will find it. Having caught many yellowfin and bluefin, I can say these bigeye are in a league of their own in both fight and as table fare.
We battled our finned combatants, some going as long as 90 minutes. One by one they came to the boat. We pulled them in, freed the gaff and prepared for the next one. As soon as they were in the boat we stuck them to bleed them for meat quality, but could not immediately get them in the box as it was loaded with ice and people were dancing all over the deck. So we left them on the deck until things calmed down. After they passed and could control them we got them in the box. It was not until the last two were still out that I could get a picture.  
It was a bloody murder scene. 

Once we got the the last one in, the tally was 5 for 8 landed. 

We cleaned up, and fished a bit more,  and argued who would be forced to fight the next fish. When everyone was insistent that they would not be the one, we pointed the boat toward the barn for the ride home in glass calm seas. 

Back at dock we weighed them.  They alll came in at 101-107 lbs. 

We cleaned the fish and chunked the loins. 

And although I ate about 2 lbs raw, we still “cooked” a few dockside. 

Last night was a tuna ceviche, and tonight it was pan seared on the egg. A 50/50 mix of grilling olive oil and sesame oil, a bit of onion salt, garlic powder, a pinch of old bay, and a healthy coat of fresh cracked black pepper, then   into a screaming hot cast iron pan on the large. 

Dessert was cheesecake with fresh fruit. 

It was a great trip which will not be soon forgotten. 

Thanks for letting me share this adventure with you.
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Thanks for letting me share this adventure with you.
    No. Thank you for sharing your awesome adventure with us. Looks like a heck of a great time my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Holy WOW! 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Incredible story, Mark!
    Options
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I felt like I was there Mark! Thanks for sharing. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Wow looks like a blast thank you for sharing...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mark, The Scriviner over here. Pour one out for great great great grandfather Melville.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dear Penthouse...great read Mark!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    quick sear with sesame oil, S&P, and sprinkled with some sesame seeds and teriyaki sauce...I wish i had a bigger boat....great story

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    This is why I love the forum... Great post ..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options
    Sounds like an absolute blast.  Thank you for sharing.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great catch and wonderful write up!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    Options
    Thanks for the great write-up and sharing quite a successful trip.  Congrats on the catch and the excellent food preparation and presentation.  
    Gonna be tough to top that one.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Mark, great fishing tale.  Looks like an awesome trip.  Thanks for taking the time to write it up. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mark, simply fantastic fishing and story telling!  What a great day. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Freakin' awesome story and catch!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Well I have to say even though it's a great fishing story, adventure and damn fine dinning on the best/freshest Chicken of the sea available I'm disappointed that you let 3 of them get away!!!! Then you slackers went running back to the barn early! Even though you all came up just a tad short it's certainly a lifetime accomplishment to be proud of, the fish gods blessed you all. Thanks for sharing Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    normally I skip the longer posts as they get a bit wordy, I read every word of this.  Incredible story and like many others incredibly jealous of the adventure and the cook.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    What a day!  Jealous!
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Freaking Awesome! 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    WOW that looks like a great time!  Just amazing!  Thanks for sharing those pictures!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome!!!  Thanks for sharing that cool story with us. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments and congratulations. We have caught a lot of tuna before, but never bigeyes nor did we ever get covered up with that many fish all at once. 
    When you spend the time and effort to be successful, and things come together as they did for us, it is very exciting. 
    But I will tell you that seeing the whales “do their thing” and cause a chain reaction and see how multiple species interact in their habitat in their world, and to hear it, see it and smell it was an epic experience. When I stated we almost forgot we were fishing, I mean that. We were all captivated by everything else going on, until the reels started screaming and they acted as the starting gun which signaled the change from being a passive observer to an active participant.

@Jupiter Jim I admit that I was wiped out.  My forearms were jello. Lower back killing. Bicepts were trembling and burning. We all took turns shoving our arms in the cooler with the clean ice for relief. Call me what you want - but I could not have fought another fish like that. I know you are ribbing. Wish you were there to experience it with us! 
    Large and MiniMax

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

@Jupiter Jim I admit that I was wiped out.  My forearms were jello. Lower back killing. Bicepts were trembling and burning. We all took turns shoving our arms in the cooler with the clean ice for relief. Call me what you want - but I could not have fought another fish like that. I know you are ribbing. Wish you were there to experience it with us! 
    Awesome trip Mark. Appreciate the details. As for the forearms....perhaps some more wood splitting might be in order prior to your trip? =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Robin, Robin, Robin.  You are always one to provide sound advice. Thank you.

How is your backside buddy?
    Large and MiniMax

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This story should be published!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Awesome story and pics!
    Thanks for sharing.