Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Atlanta Grill Company no longer BGE?

Options
Anyone know why AGC (I think formerly known as Roswell Hardware) nonlinger carrier BGE? I heard it completely switched to KJ?
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,040
    Options
    Seems like a big loss for BGE ....

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That’s a pretty bold claim for a company that’s only been selling KJs for a few weeks. I would suspect Costco would have something to say about that. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    That’s a pretty bold claim for a company that’s only been selling KJs for a few weeks. I would suspect Costco would have something to say about that. 
    Might actually be true however.  Probably wouldn’t be hard to do.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    It says Largest KJ Dealer.  "Largest" could mean biggest showroom, most number of BGE items carried, heaviest owner/dealer, etc, etc. 
    Raleigh, NC
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I don't think Costco is considered to be a "dealer." They don't show up in a search for dealers. 
    New Orleans LA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Matt Pittman has, I think jumped ship to Traggers. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    They still had BGE last week
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Damn looks like they are gone off their website. They said when people looked st the 2 side by side they sold the KJ almost every time. Is the lifetime warranty our lifetime or BGEs?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,040
    Options
    Lit said:
    Damn looks like they are gone off their website. They said when people looked st the 2 side by side they sold the KJ almost every time. Is the lifetime warranty our lifetime or BGEs?
     KJ warranty were they ship parts directly to you is a huge bonus in my eyes.

I had a great dealer in my old town, but not in my new town.  I wish I didn't need to deal with a middle man.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Matt Pittman has, I think jumped ship to Traggers. 
    Smart move.  I assume he saturated the Kamado Market and is looking to cast a bigger net. 

Back to the OP. KJ is crushing online content right now.  Their YouTube presence is great. Fans of the product are also very active on social media. KJ is doing a lot of things right to build their brand. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What’s going on at BGE is typical of what happens to companies that were basically monopolies and thought they were invulnerable. When a turnaround is attempted it’s usually accompanied by some internal battles. I would guess that the BGE market share was large enough that they can be competitive. I think they’ve done a great job of product placement. You see a lot of green in stories about restaurants and in the homes of the rich and famous. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I had no idea they jumped ship. I only went there for rub/sauce/pickles anyway cause nothing in there is cheap. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I would suspect KJ gave them a sweetheart vendor deal to ditch their bread and butter product. 
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    I bought my LBGE there (Roswell Hardware) from Gary and a few accessories.  Nice guy and it was always fun place to visit. Last time I was in Alphretta I was going to stop by but ran out of time.  We're very limited here in Central Bama for dealers. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    Lit said:
    I honestly think KJ does a better job w/ their presentation..."You get ALL OF THIS" (and I laugh when people say you get all this "free"). So comparing side by side, yeah, KJ def seems like the better way to go.

I did way too much research, and basically built my own Egg package the way I wanted it (Smokeware top, KAB, CGS Woo/Split Heat Dividers)--and I'm completely content.

Initially I wondered if I made a mistake going BGE; however, after creeping around on the KJ page again, I think I made the right call. All this "innovation" is good, but I think it's rushed, and not well tested. Their new vent top peels pain on the food (gross) & also is too heavy and wears out the gasket material and flops around, and drips grease on the grill/patio; mesh gasket is peeling off; firebox ring warps like a Pringles chip, pops off & firebox falls all over the place; folks propping up old Big Joe w/ a stick; people are melting part of the new BBQ Controller (iKamand) because it's plastic next to the firebox...

I actually think KJ may overextend themselves (working on a new $3,500 grill to complete w/ KK). One reason I went BGE is because, while I doubt it would happen, I wouldn't be surprised if KJ went under at some point--too much, too fast. We'll see!
    Located Middle GA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    Lit said:
    I honestly think KJ does a better job w/ their presentation..."You get ALL OF THIS" (and I laugh when people say you get all this "free"). So comparing side by side, yeah, KJ def seems like the better way to go.

I did way too much research, and basically built my own Egg package the way I wanted it (Smokeware top, KAB, CGS Woo/Split Heat Dividers)--and I'm completely content.

Initially I wondered if I made a mistake going BGE; however, after creeping around on the KJ page again, I think I made the right call. All this "innovation" is good, but I think it's rushed, and not well tested. Their new vent top peels pain on the food (gross) & also is too heavy and wears out the gasket material and flops around, and drips grease on the grill/patio; mesh gasket is peeling off; firebox ring warps like a Pringles chip, pops off & firebox falls all over the place; folks propping up old Big Joe w/ a stick; people are melting part of the new BBQ Controller (iKamand) because it's plastic next to the firebox...

I actually think KJ may overextend themselves (working on a new $3,500 grill to complete w/ KK). One reason I went BGE is because, while I doubt it would happen, I wouldn't be surprised if KJ went under at some point--too much, too fast. We'll see!
    KJ used to have a $7K kamado in their lineup - the original Joe Pro - so I don't think their new ceramic version Joe Pro (at half the price) is really intending to compete with KK.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• distanceman
    Options
    @HeavyG you may be right, but it is certainly designed to compete above the L/XL or Classic/BJ categories of your every day Kamado user. The Pro Joe is pretty massive (as looks impressive, anyways).

Located Middle GA

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    We have a store called Abt, which is the appliance superstore here. First thing you  see when you walk in is green eggs. Until last year. Now Joe's. Floor sales guy tells me they just felt it was a better buy with all the included accessories.  Also have a chain called Steingauffels, more of a discount store with cheaper quality stuff, but also green egg ers.   Now i don't see any eggs when i walk in... maybe I'll see some Joe's in the near future.  I would not buy an other egg for the simple reason I'm just too busy to drive around trying to find a dealer to honor warranty service when something goes wrong
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You can’t go wrong with either KJ or BGE. I have 5 BGEs and picked up my first KJ (jr) last week. Got it from someone on letgo for $200 brand new in box. Didn’t need it but had to buy it because of the bbq voices in my head. I don’t see BGE maintaining their 1st place kamado lead if they don’t change the way they do business to adapt. I think they are too in love with this dealer model to stay out front. People want to buy online, people want to do warranties online. We don’t care to go to a dealer to do warranties. We don’t stay in the dealer and buy BGE accessories. We are picking up CGS stuff or other aftermarket items from somewhere else. It’s fruststing to see them lose their position. I believe they always remain a strong player, I’m not sure it’s ahead of KJ when you fast forward into the future. It’s annoying because they owned the market. BGE has made advancements and innovations lately (many stolen, but still), so it is encouraging to see them react on losing sales to other competitors. 
  • distanceman
    Options
    @cookingdude555 I think you’re pretty accurate in your assessment. And I agree both are good companies—I was/am contemplating a Jr if I can find the right price. I think my point was KJ seems good, but I’m not sure it’s quite as amazing as their fan base says. Or I’m not seeing it, anyways. 

I do do wonder if BGE will move to an online or hybrid model as you said. Cause for whatever reason, losing their biggest brick and mortar dealer has to be a huge blow. 
    Located Middle GA

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Sam thing happened here in Minneapolis.  I bought my LBGE at a store called the kitchen window, when you first walked in the door it was all green eggs, every size unit, accessories, charcoal etc.  they switched to KJ within the last year.  I asked the owner about it and all he would tell me was there was “some things that they didn’t care for and it had nothing to do with their product lineup.”   
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Same thing is happening here in the Aiken/ Augusta area. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Went into a local Pinch-a-Penny pool supply a couple weeks ago which previously sold BGE along with accessories and rubs. They had both BGE and KJ. Asked the clerk how long they would be selling BGE, response was we'll see. Haven't checked the rest of the local stores so it is more wide spread.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I would imagine the dealers love not having to take care of the warranty side of things.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I would imagine the dealers love not having to take care of the warranty side of things.
    I warrantied my base going on two months ago, with the dealer I originally purchased from, the remaining largest in the area. Still waiting. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • distanceman
    Options
    LOL. Maybe my assessment was off...and BGE not KJ will go under! I’m curious to see how things progress over the next few years. 
    Located Middle GA

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    @distanceman, I don’t think either will go under. I don’t believe anyone outside of them own the first and second position in the market. BGE sells far too many kamados to go under, and I think they have healthy margins as well. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Keep in mind ATL is a totally different market when it comes to BGE, KJ's, Primo's, Grill Domes, etc.

-All 4+ companies are based a few miles of each other
    -There are dozens of Platinum level BGE dealers, and a lot of dealers carry multiple brands and don't get down ranked like you do in other parts of the county.
    -EVERYBODY knows what they are, selling them comes down to price only

I've seen BGE packages in retail that would be similar to want my dealer price would be by the time I factored in the freight to get it to me (if I special ordered it one at a time).
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don’t think it’s just about price here in Georgia. BGE really does have a cult like following here. People who don’t have one know what they are and surely know a couple of folks that have them. It’s kind of like Yeti. Sure you can go buy a Pelican with more features or a cheaper RTIC, but you don’t get the same street cred as hauling a Yeti around Panama City Beach in your jacked up F 250.  A KJ doesn’t doesn’t carry that street cred on the patio around here. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I warrantied my base going on two months ago, with the dealer I originally purchased from, the remaining largest in the area. Still waiting. 
    Well that sucks. It took me maybe 20mins (not including driving time) to get a new base from my dealer some years ago. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.