Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going topless question

Options
GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
Well it is Friday. So since I added a smobot I won’t be using the daisy wheel. I’m doing pizzas at 550, what’s a good starting point for the bottom vent opening? I thought 1.5” but I could be way off. Thanks. 

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

Looks like about 2" or so according to the below thread. I've noticed however with no Daisy I keep mine about half open. So maybe YMMV

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For my large, 3/4-1" lower vent (screen closed), no daisy = 400°. So, 1.5" is a good starting point. Just pay attention on the way up in case it starts to overshoot.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    For my large, 3/4-1" lower vent (screen closed), no daisy = 400°. So, 1.5" is a good starting point. Just pay attention on the way up in case it starts to overshoot.

On that note does the screen being closed matter at all vs being opened? I haven't noticed any difference.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I thought this was a different thread.  Never mind.  Is this THE Friday thread?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

On that note does the screen being closed matter at all vs being opened? I haven't noticed any difference.
    I never cook with the screen open, but each of the wires blocks air flow, however little. Less airflow, lower temp. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Leave the top off and adjust the bottom vent to get the temp you desire.

Options
    If you are using a high temp dough, like TIPO 00, you can run in the 900s provided you didn't put any sugar in it.  But you need to keep your stone well shielded so it doesn't get hotter than your dome temp.  You have to work fast at those temps and you will run out of fuel in about an hour, so go longer at lower temps.   Different doughs cook better at different temps.
    Options
    Options
    500 said:
    I thought this was a different thread.  Never mind.  Is this THE Friday thread?
    I always put those threads in Off Topic forum. However occasionally one of these morphs. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options

Leave the top off and adjust the bottom vent to get the temp you desire.

Well nola, that’s why I asked for a starting point for the bottom vent. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    And thank you all for the info. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I start wide open and adjust from there
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Since I was burning my table with the pizza cooks, I moved to the oven and worked with dough that likes to be cooked at 550F.  Then I bought the Roccbox and I'm back to the 100% Tipo 00.
    Options
    On my XL for pizza cooks no daisy wheel I think my bottom vent is about 1.5" open, so that is probably a good starting point.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options

I thought this thread would have a lot more pictures...

If I recall I go DW on and fully open, then have to trim it back to stay at 550, bottom left wide open. But that's with no SMOBOT so im not even sure if it helps.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • GrillSgt
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Like I said YMMV. Everyone’s a bit different as to their approach. I think as long as you keep the bottom at least half way closed you can tweek it from there. Just try it out and see

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    With my large, my bottom vent is about half open for 350-400 degrees with no daisy wheel. IMO, the daisy wheel is for low and slows. I also haven’t cleaned out my egg since last fall. It needs to be done!
    NW IOWA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use to be semi-famous for going topless as well as bottomless  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I know there are no pics so didn’t happen, but...  I just fired a couple 00 flour pies @700 LGBE with white truffle oil, sliced garlic, talleggio, and proscitto di parm. On a food high right now!
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Not sure if you got it figured out on your rig but @GrillSgt this is holding 425 on my egg without the Daisy.