Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still more BBQ Championship Series

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd toss in a couple more quick unsolicited thoughts one the BBQ Championship series while taking a quick break.[p]Spoilers below if you haven't watched...[p]Though I don't clearly understand the distinction among champion, challenger, and wildcard (in general, they all seem pretty accomplished to me), the champ wins again. So far, they're holding serve, and showing some of the skills which made them champs.[p]The judging still confuses me. Seems very uneven, though I admit I'm not paying close enough attention to call out specific examples. It just seems that I'll hear things like "didn't like the sauce, it was tough, undercooked....63" and then later in the show "I loved it, great crispy skin, wonderful texture....61." Also, Byron's chicken was supposedly the best a couple of the judges have had, and I think they gave it an 80 and an 82 (something like that....it's been a long day and I'm working while watching...they were low 80s). I still can't wait to hear the comments that a 90+ entry will solicit. "That brisket was the best I've ever had, it cooked and cleaned up after itself, gave me witty conversation as I ate it, and was the life of the party."[p]Lastly, I didn't know Bad Byron was an Egger. How cool![p]I think Johnny Trigg is on next week, which will be interesting to me as he's one of the huge BBQ names I've heard a lot about but I don't think I've ever heard him say much, if anything, on TV. Will be cool to see what he's like.[p]Later,
Cornfed

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Yes, Bad Byron became an egger that day. He couldn't get his stuff out to Reno so he asked BGE if he could use a couple and as you can imagine the answer was yes.
    He took those eggs home with him. He had one of them with him at the Jack and I expect to see them with him more in the future.
    Bart Clark from Twin Oaks has a new egg too and Mike from Bar-B-Qua has two. Eggamania is running wild!

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    drbbq,
    I was wondering if the BBQ Championships will ever come out in a DVD collection for retail purchase after the series is over. I really would like to see the Series. I just don't have the Versus channel in my area. Anyway, Best of luck to you. For anyone that hasn't tried Bad Byron's "Butt Rub" the can order it online. I can testify that the product is fantastic. I am going to try out the Dizzy Pigs products soon since everyone in this forum talks about them so much. My wife is hopefully taking notes for my Christmas stocking stuffer. [p]Best regards, Pharmeggist

[ul][li]Bad Byron's[/ul]
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    BadByronsTeam.jpg
    <p />Here's a "Honeymoon" shot of Byron and his new Eggs in Reno.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• IMG_0128.jpg
    <p />Here's a view of Byron's cooking station on the "B" set (behind the corrigated metal wall). Nothing but eggs . . . .[p]Rod
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]I really don't know the answer.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Pictured with Bad byron are John & Kathy Swift from competition team: Wild Bunch Butt Burners

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    drbbq,
    That is a testamony to the Egg that even a skilled pitmaster can use one for the first time and win! LOL[p]Neet story thanks for telling. A friend at work was telling me she caught the show and saw drbbq and mentioned frogs. I told her it wasn't you, she had mentioned the buttrub hat. She was confused by the Eggs in use.

• dhuffjr,[p]Isn't it a testament to the pitmaster?[p]Odis
  • Odis ,[p]Geez do you have a lot to learn... ;-) It's the cooker not the cook...