Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Under-bite

OshawaDave
OshawaDave Posts: 198

My dome has an under-bite at the front and will not pass the dollar test at the front. The rear felt is squashed down. There doesn't seem to be even spacing of the bands? I bought it new last September and it was set up this way from the dealer.

Thoughts on aligning the dome would be appreciated.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    I just realigned mine. My XL was used when I got it and the hinge mechanism was bent. There are slotted holes in the hinge brackets that can be adjusted.I had to straighten the bent hinges and it takes patience but with trial and error you can realign the lid. I doubt your hinges are bent, my egg was not loved well in it's previous life. It works like new now.  
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • When I had my bands replaced the dealer tightened the new ones to the point of touching. This is much tifhter than what I had which looks similar to your bands

A year later the issue hasn’t come back 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I had the same problem... adjusted it a dozen times, I think a blown gasket in the rear heated the band bracket assembly, then when lifting the lid (while it was still hot) the bands tweaked and settled back.  BGE replaced them for me under warranty with a new band assembly, the new assembly does not open as far but works great.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Assuming your band is the old style then the problems you described of smashing in the back (as obvious by the condition of the gasket there) and not closing in the front both point to the same problem. That is the planes of your dome and base are out of whack! Typically all you need to do is loosen the bolts and nuts on both bands enough so that you can force the dome down so the planes are the same. Then retighten. That will cure some of the underbite, but a small amount of underbite and overbite on eggs is not at all uncommon. The bases and domes are made separate of each other and slight variances can occur before they are fired. It's not like the egg was made together and then cut apart. The marriage of the two pieces happens when being packaged for shipping. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    RRP said:
    Assuming your band is the old style then the problems you described of smashing in the back (as obvious by the condition of the gasket there) and not closing in the front both point to the same problem. That is the planes of your dome and base are out of whack! Typically all you need to do is loosen the bolts and nuts on both bands enough so that you can force the dome down so the planes are the same. Then retighten. That will cure some of the underbite, but a small amount of underbite and overbite on eggs is not at all uncommon. The bases and domes are made separate of each other and slight variances can occur before they are fired. It's not like the egg was made together and then cut apart. The marriage of the two pieces happens when being packaged for shipping. 

Thanks Ron. I'll do some adjustment this weekend.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Ask your dealer to get you a set of the new bands under warranty. They are much easier to align and stay in alignment. I had similar problems for 3 years....new bands have been great. You give up some dome opening height, but hasn't been an issue.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Acc2018
    Acc2018 Posts: 1
    RRP said:
    I have the new style hinges. Still have the same underbite. Adjusted 5-6 times already. Not getting better. Always slides back to underbite position. Any other thoughts?

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Acc2018 said:
    RRP said:
    I have the new style hinges. Still have the same underbite. Adjusted 5-6 times already. Not getting better. Always slides back to underbite position. Any other thoughts?

This happens to me when I attack springs. Very annoying. Can’t seem to get it right. 
    Madison, AL