Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Goose advice

Options
has anyone had success with a goose on the egg - either indirect smoking or using a Joetisserie attachment ? Thinking of giving this a whirl next weekend ! 

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I didn't do it on the Egg, but the technique in the article (recommended by @nolaegghead) worked really well for an oven cook. The breast meat should be pink, but the legs well done and this allows you to achieve both parts well cooked.

Make sure to catch the fat and store for roast potatoes.

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/cook-your-goose-slowly-at-a-low-heat-to-let-the-fat-render-out
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I have done Canada goose. Indirect at 250 with bacon draped over the top. Took a couple hours . Was fairly tender and great flavor not typical
    shoe leather tough goose. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Coat it with olive oil so it will slide in to the trash bin easier. 

Just kidding, I’ve never cooked or eaten goose so I’m along for the ride to learn something. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You really want to be the duck, then you don’t have to run.  
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Never found the need to add fat to a goose - there is a LOT under the skin already. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've done goose may be 6 times. Its always been farm raised, so was very fatty, which is one of the main reasons to buy them. I scoop out what fat I can, and set that aside to render at another time. Then I do what I would w. any poultry, leave it in the fridge over nite to dry the skin. There is lots of fat under the skin, and so it needs to be pricked all over so it renders while cooking. I use standard herb rub, maybe put some citrus in the cavity,

I do raised, indirect, over a 'setter w. a drip pan on foil balls to catch the rendering fat. Don't use too much smoke. The bird takes it well, and the rendered fat even more so. Might want to use skewers to pin the wings to the body, because as they cook, they will stretch out and get over done. Despite the fat, the breast meat is rather lean, so don't go beyond 165, and the legs tend to be somewhat tough, tho' tasty.

The smoked fat is super for frying taters. The rendered fat, for any use. I've never been happy w. any soup I've made from the carcass, maybe because the flavor is so rich to start, and the added smoke becomes concentrated.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Never found the need to add fat to a goose - there is a LOT under the skin already. 
    Not on a wild Canada goose. They’re very lean. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited June 2018
    Options

My advice for Goose is to be careful while ejecting.
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    Eoin said:
    Not on a wild Canada goose. They’re very lean. 

Yes, all most all wild game will be much leaner and probably tougher than farmed.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if this is a domestic goose, you need an oversized drip pan. unbelievable how much fat drips out. make sure you can access the pan to drain some out during the cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I've done goose may be 6 times. Its always been farm raised, so was very fatty, which is one of the main reasons to buy them. I scoop out what fat I can, and set that aside to render at another time. Then I do what I would w. any poultry, leave it in the fridge over nite to dry the skin. There is lots of fat under the skin, and so it needs to be pricked all over so it renders while cooking. I use standard herb rub, maybe put some citrus in the cavity,

I do raised, indirect, over a 'setter w. a drip pan on foil balls to catch the rendering fat. Don't use too much smoke. The bird takes it well, and the rendered fat even more so. Might want to use skewers to pin the wings to the body, because as they cook, they will stretch out and get over done. Despite the fat, the breast meat is rather lean, so don't go beyond 165, and the legs tend to be somewhat tough, tho' tasty.

The smoked fat is super for frying taters. The rendered fat, for any use. I've never been happy w. any soup I've made from the carcass, maybe because the flavor is so rich to start, and the added smoke becomes concentrated.
    I'm doing one for Thanksgiving.  Any other advice? temp? Any idea how long for 14#? spatchcock? thanks
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2018
    Options
    my only advice is to make sure its cooked. Nothing worse than not cooking a goose.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Always buy your goose at Costco - if it doesn't come out how you want it you can return it.

Sorry @TEXASBGE2018 couldn't resist. =)