Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Nite

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
I’ve been distracted with life recently and haven’t spent much time here. I’ve missed you knot heads. 
I reverse seared a nice NY strip on the egg tonight. I started with a nice margarita on the rocks and some blistered Shishito peppers. Man, I love these things. 

While the steak was smoking on the large egg I put some fingerling potatoes, yellow squash, and corn in the wood oven to roast. 

Then it’s just sear the steak... I really like the Holy Cow rub by @MeatChurch

Simple and delicious. My kind of meal. 

We finished with a grilled peach and some Blue Bell ice cream. Life is good my friends. 

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Life is very good! Great meal. Welcome back. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Miss your posts. 

Little Rock, AR

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    As always your cooks give us something to strive towards.  God I’m glad it wasn’t a 1/2” steak.   
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice Aggie

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Oh man, I wish I didn't live 1500 miles from you!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SciAggie
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    As always your cooks give us something to strive towards.  God I’m glad it wasn’t a 1/2” steak.   
    I’m not sure I could cook a 1/2” steak, lol. That’s blasphemous. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Bravo! I did a NY strip tonight, too. You nailed everything, from the cocktail to the sides and desert. Great looking plate!
    Stillwater, MN
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Your presentation is always top shelf!  I can produce some decent tasting grub, but my presentation pales compared to what you put up!  As always, beatutiful work!  Keep posting stuff like this so some of the rest of us remember where the bar is set!
    XL  Central Ohio
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    you crushed it, per usual
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    Glad you are able to get back to posting your off the charts cooks.  What a meal-and the money shot for the win.  Nailed the crust as well.
    Always  enjoyable to scroll thru your posts.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Having a drink outside while the pizza oven heats up is one of my top 3 goals in life... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    You need to go find his thread where he was building his oven.  

Little Rock, AR

• SonVolt
    Options
    checking now...
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm always blown away by your cooks @SciAggie. That steak is picture perfect. I'm also always impressed by the quality of your photos. Are you taking them with a phone camera or something like a Mark IV?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• SonVolt
    Options
    I'm always blown away by your cooks @SciAggie. That steak is picture perfect. I'm also always impressed by the quality of your photos. Are you taking them with a phone camera or something like a Mark IV?

When I hear "Mark IV" I think of something totally different. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    I have a ton of $$ in cameras fron Nikon to Canon to Leica - but - all the food photos I post here are taken with an iPhone 6 or an iPad. I sometimes use a quick edit with the standard editor - no 3rd party apps. 
    I do just try to pay some attention to light and composition. 
    Thanks for the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Great meal!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    As usual, showing off that you’re living well, Gary :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:
    As usual, showing off that you’re living well, Gary :)

Life is good - and thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon