Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

L or XL for a Friend

Options
Long story short, I want to buy an Egg (or Kamado Joe) for a guy I know. His son was recently diagnosed with bone cancer in his spine, and will start treatment soon. He's doing sod for my yard, and when he comes by, we talk about the Egg. 

My question: I have an XL and glad I got it. However, buying one for someone is obviously expensive. Curious thoughts on if a Large would be a sufficient gift, or if I should just spend the extra $$$ and go XL. It's about a 300-400 difference when I factor in Nest, Mates, etc. I just don't want to spend the money, and have him not be happy or wishing he had an XL (albeit it was free). 

I was offered a really good price on the KJ, and I like the company as a whole, but I rejoined their FB page to check out the company and quickly remembered why I didn't like KJ...literally a daily bashing of BGE blah blah blah. It's a case of short man syndrome. 
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Awesome friend you are. I think a large is fine. He could always get a ps woo or other second rack later if he really needs to cook 2 15lb briskets at once. I think if any friend of mine bought me a $1,000 gift I wouldn’t complain about anything.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    What a great gesture and better friend you are! I love my large. Maybe you could talk with a dealer and work with them on price. Maybe they could give you an Eggfest price or slight discount if you explain your situation on how you're helping out a family. You might want to skim Craigslist and see if you can find a nest and mates on the cheap. That way you could save on the total cost of the egg. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    What a wonderful gesture. I have a large and it's all I have ever needed, but I know many wouldn't want to trade their XL, either. Everyone's situation is different and it depends on how many he is generally cooking for. I might be more inclined to go with an XL if more space is needed, but also if I had a gasser or Blackstone or something for quicker cooks.
    Stillwater, MN
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    Thanks y'all for the input thus far. He's a family of 4 with 2 young boys; during the summer he has friends and family over and normally does burgers and stuff for 10. He said he uses a cheap charcoal grill, so I'm partially inclined to think a L would be just fine. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    The situation dictates a different response than I would normally give.  I sold two larges and now have two XLs, and I don't regret it at all.  However you are providing a wonderful gift to help console someone.  A large is going to fulfill what you are trying to do here in my opinion.  It is good to see such a goodwill gesture.  If you get KJ or BGE, it doesnt matter.  They are identical, and you can hang on either forum with either cooker and will be fine.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Get a Large. It’s the Phillips head screwdriver and pliers of the outdoor kitchen. 

Sincerely,

Your New Friend.  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    We should all be so .lucky to have a friend like you. I think either would be great for a gift but if it were I on the receiving end I would be happy with either.. I would give the large definitely would fit the bill
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I vote Large too.

F Cancer. They're in for a tough ride. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I’m glad I got a L before I got an XL. Great gift whichever you get. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    100% your a kind person and I say large as I have always felt it's the best size egg with the most after market eggcessories.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Buy him a Lg and get an A/R if money is no object. What a nice gesture. 

Little Rock, AR

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I am sure your friend will be taken back and totally thrilled by your gift of a large and the kindness of your actions!

I've had a large for almost 20 years and have cooked for lots of folks on it without issues!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I suggest the large.  I have the XL and have had to replace the base twice due to cracks and the fire ring also.  It is only a matter of time before the base cracks again and then I have to go the warranty route again.  A friend has had a large the same period of time I've had my XL, and he hasn't had to replace anything.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    ^?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I have a family of 5 and an xl. Most of the time, I don’t use nearly all of the available real estate, so I think you’ll be fine giving him a large. As others have said, incredible gesture on your part. 
    Oh, I’ve never had a base crack. Don’t think size has anything to do with it. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    A large with a raised grid is pretty useful... if I was buying new again I'd skip the platesetter and get a CS adjustable rig and stone with better coverage for ribs, or brisket etc. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    For the same cost I would think he would get more use out of a large and a blackstone even a 22 in blackstone which would be great for veggies or hamburgers etc
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston