Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New 36 blackstone with rear grease trap

Options
BobDanger
BobDanger Posts: 323
Anyone have one yet...if so what do you think?

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I do. I love that thing. However, I bought the big surround at the same time and installed it before I ever fired it up. The surround didn't account for the rear trap so I had to modify both the surround and the grease trap. It works great now, I was just frustrated that I had to break out metal snips and a hand brake on products that I'd just paid $300 for, to fix an issue that they modified.

Other than the rant, it's a great piece of equipment. Really fun to use. Makes breakfast a breeze. Again, really fun.  
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    That rear drain looks good enough for me to consider selling mine and getting one with the rear drain
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    My friend just got a 28" with rear drain and he loves it.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• BobDanger
    Options
    I’m thinking the rear drain may be an issue for me being I cook in my gazebo and like the griddle up to the screen.

I'm giveing my 28 to my oldest son next weekend so I’m gonna get a 36. I really like the use of the full back for cooking also. Anywho...
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • BobDanger
    Options
    Went and looked at both...I went wit the older style because of where I’m cooking at.

thanks for the reply’s.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like the old style for a few reasons.  

1 - My griddle is up against the deck.  

2 - You cannot use the existing surround.  This is huge for me.  New surround will be out later. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I prefer the older style griddle. I use the rear wall to push product up against very often. The opening for the rear grease trap would be a magnet for loose food items. Also for cooks with a lot of grease the rear collection pan is right next to the blazing hot rear vents. That grease is WAY too hot to handle mid cook and god forbid anyone rubs up against it for any reason. The trap is also not located under the actual drain exit by any popsitive means. It slides both ways hanging on the rear and must be centered by the user. I would, however, like the garbage hanger and paper towel holder that is built into the new right shelf.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Real talk.  I hate, H-A-T-E, cleaning out the grease trap.  The older style version allows for a beer can to slide over the grease trough.   Easy clean up.  No muss, no fuss.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Thatgrimguy, next month blackstone will be selling the new top for $144 delivered. I'm waiting for it to come out now.