Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear with Bacon...?

Options
KermitTheEgg
KermitTheEgg Posts: 39
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
Greetings all!  I have done many reverse seared filets, but I have never done with bacon.  Usually I set the egg around 200-225 and heat the steaks till 125 and then pull and fire the egg up to around 500-600 and throw them in my cast iron skillet with garlic, butter, and rosemary.  My question is the following, if I wrap in bacon, will the bacon cook through in the above method?

Thanks, and have a great weekend!
Thank you.

Q
________________________________________________________________________________
Columbia, Missouri - Family Man and Bourbon Drinker

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” 

Mark Twain

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    With reverse sear you actually have a better chance of rendering the bacon fat so it'll crisp up better when you start your sear.  People that don't reverse sear will sometimes pre-cook their bacon in the microwave briefly  to achieve the same result. Just be sure to sear the bacon-sided edges along with the top and bottom.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • KermitTheEgg
    Options
    So flip them on the sides I guess as well as on the top and bottom and I should be good to go?  Wow, thank you for the quick response.
    Thank you.

Q
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Columbia, Missouri - Family Man and Bourbon Drinker

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” 

Mark Twain

• SonVolt
    Options
    Yep, and be watchful of flare ups. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I precook bacon for our bacon wrapped jumbo chipoltle shrimp. 
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You can also reverse sear them bacon-side-down and flip occasionally. That should theoretically help render the bacon fat even more.