Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on raised stone

Options
I am on a mission to make my pizzas cook evenly too and bottom and tried raising the stone. I took away the grid and put a few firebricks under the stone. Pizza cooked pretty evenly was delicious. Cooked at about 575 maybe 10 minutes. I added some arugula at the end which was awesome. This may be my new method on my XL

Comments

• CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    Good looking pie
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Agreed.  Looks delicious.  What's the benefit to the parchment?  Never done pizzas...
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Looks great. I love arugula on pizza but I don't like it with tomato sauce.  If I'm going that route I'll blind bake the dough with nothing more than a rub of olive oil. Then, when it's finished, pull it off and drape thinly sliced prosciutto over the entire surface so the residual heat will start rendering the fat. Add your arugula on top of this lightly tossed with olive and fresh shaved parmesan and sea salt. One of my favorites. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    whldch said:
    I am on a mission to make my pizzas cook evenly too and bottom and tried raising the stone. I took away the grid and put a few firebricks under the stone. Pizza cooked pretty evenly was delicious. Cooked at about 575 maybe 10 minutes. I added some arugula at the end which was awesome. This may be my new method on my XL
    I tip my hat to ya! Beautiful za....certain it was as tasty as it looks.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I use the parchment paper to help slide the Za  onto the stone and maybe keep the cornmeal off the stone. If the cheese doesn't run off the pizza I pull the paper as soon as the crust hardens. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    This may be a dumb question but why would a little cheese touching the stone matter?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    This may be a dumb question but why would a little cheese touching the stone matter?
    Just my preference to keep the stone clean and reduce cleanup. Takes seconds to lay out and has no effect on the taste or crust.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I think you found your setup... nice pie
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SonVolt
    Options
    whldch said:
    SonVolt said:
    Just my preference to keep the stone clean and reduce cleanup. Takes seconds to lay out and has no effect on the taste or crust.

Ok gotcha. I was curious if you were worried about the stone cracking if liquid/food touches it.