Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replaced my bands and old hinge with new style hinge, and now my large BGE will only open 8 inches

Options
I have have had this BGE for about 10 years. In the last 3 years or so I have assembled a few large and XL BGE for friends and family with the new style of hinge and had no problems, but I am at a loss here so any help would be appreciated. 

Like I said above replaced the bands and old hinge with new bands and the new style hinge. I also replaced the gasket. Put everything back together, made sure everything was lined up perfect, made sure the bands could not get any tighter and then tried to open the dome. Dome opens about 8 inches, but no more. Anyone else had this issue? I have taken this thing apart and adjusted at least a dozen times. I thought maybe the hinge in the very back was to tight but it was fine. I thought maybe it was because the springs were not installed yet so I took the hinge off the back loose on both sides, moved the dome back and got the springs installed. Repositioned the dome and put the rear hinge back on and tested again with the same result. All parts move freely so nothing is over tight. 

The dome is catching on the back of the egg. It tilts back only, but does not do the up and back motion that is needs to do. Anyone run into this or have any tips. I have followed the install instructions to the letter so I would appreciate any wisdom anyone could share.

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The egg hasn't changed, so it's something with the hinge.  My guess is you have the spring arms or hinges reversed or upside down.

Pics?
  • matthewsmith
    matthewsmith Posts: 5
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I went by the local dealer and my setup looks the same as theirs and asked them, of course they were clueless because The have someone else set them up for them. I will post some pics this evening when I get off work and see what you guys think.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Guess it's pizza only from now on. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What i know is that they change something in the design the newer eggs 2017 open less far then the old that is also the reason why the new gridlifters are shorter! But 8 inch is to narrow. A picture would help, i bought my large end 2017 and had issue with my bge grid lifter that was two years old, then my dealer told me this and ordered a new one which is shorter as the lid is not opening as far as the older eggs 
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The new system on the large and medium is the same design as the XL.  While the lid doesn't open to as high as the original single spring hinge did, it does drop the lid backwards a little bit.  It doesn't change the accessibility at all.  It mainly changes the effort required to lift the lid.  The old system was really heavy at first then lightened up as you got higher.  This one is a constant weight the whole way back.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    Yup. Just did this myself. No issues.

We need pics
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I seem to remember an earlier post with an upside down setup that would only open 6”...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    Options
    It does change the accessibility, as you cannot use the original grid lifter anymore as it is to long...that’s why the new are shorter...but yes they open more then 8”
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • matthewsmith
    Options
    For anyone wondering I did find what the issue was. Thought I would give it one more look and I really did not like the way the actual most rear hinge piece looked. This is the 2 pieces that do not contain the springs. Just pulled those 2 pieces off the band and looked at them and edge of the hinge that attaches to the upper band on the right side was about a half inch out. I had put the hinges on before I put them on my egg so I did not have any issues putting it on when it was sitting on my table.

Anyways, on the other hinge everything lined up. I took both hinges apart, bent the one that was out of line to match the one that was in line as close as I could, and put it back on the egg. Works fine now.