Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Various Woos or Adjustable Rings - confused!

Hello, When we bought our Large sized egg (wish we would have gotten XL!) - we bought the Conveggtor Place Setter too.  Now that we have used our egg a few times and tried the reverse searing - it was cumbersome to go from indirect heat to direct.  So if I understand right, the Woos and ARs make this easier and also give your more variety ways of cooking.  But there are so many choices with the different Woos and ARs that I'm totally confused.....  also, once we get a Woo or AR - will we still have a use/need for the Conveggtor???  Or do these accessories totally take the place of it.  Any advice would be welcomed!  Thanks!
https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store  
Patty
Big Green Egg Newbie
Maryland

Comments

• If you still want to use the plate setter, you can get the PS woo. It holds the plate setter and the grid sits on top of it. It has handles so you can remover everything all at once. You can also get an extender for it if you want to use multi levels. If you arent necessarily hung up on using the plate setter, I would probably just get an A/r. I have the ps woo and it stays in my egg all the time. 

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    As above, the best is to call Tom at the store.  And I'm with @Biggreenpharmacist as I have the PSWOO and extender.  A solid rig and lives in my LBGE.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • You can't go wrong with the Ceramic Grill Store.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Two sort of opposite things:
    1. By all means, investigate whether a woo or an AR might be something you'd really enjoy and find helpful for you.  Many people love them, and EVERYBODY I've ever heard talk about Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store has just raved about how helpful he is to talk to.
    2. But I'm not sure reverse searing is the reason to buy an AR or a woo.  First, there are handles available to grab the plate setter that make pulling it out of the Egg just no big deal at all.  If you're happy with everything about the setup you have right now, but getting the plate setter out is cumbersome, that's an easily fixable problem. But also, you don't have to use the plate setter for reverse sears.  I'm lazy, and I don't want to mess with a plate setter OR an AR if I don't need to, so I usually do my reverse sears direct.  I just have a very low fire, around 250° for the low-and-slow part of the cook, and I'll flip the steak(s) and/or move them around if I need to.  When they're at the right internal temp, I take them out, open up the vents till the Egg is at 600°-650°, put the steaks back on for 1 minute a side for a good sear, and I'm done.  Easy peasey.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited June 2018
    Here's one such handle, for example, from SmokeWare -- you just lower it down, twist, lift it back up with the plate setter -- no muss, no fuss, takes a moment:

and here's how the Ceramic Grill Store's pswoo also can help you lift out the plate setter:

• In the same debate about what to get. I think the PS woo with sliding raised grid is the most economical and has the most usable grill space. 

Adding the Woo platform for a 15” half grid and the spider for some additional flexibility. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I was in the same position - I ended up with the pswoo with extender and raised grid.  Great combo.  Also, if you go that route, I would consider the round drip pan they sell.  It covers a lot of the space that the plate setter leaves unprotected.  I think it helps a lot.

Here is A pic without the extender, but with the drip pan.  As you can see, I didn't need to worry about the ABT's around the edge getting burned.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • PattyG
    PattyG Posts: 22
    I was in the same position - I ended up with the pswoo with extender and raised grid.  Great combo.  Also, if you go that route, I would consider the round drip pan they sell.  It covers a lot of the space that the plate setter leaves unprotected.  I think it helps a lot.

Here is A pic without the extender, but with the drip pan.  As you can see, I didn't need to worry about the ABT's around the edge getting burned.

Thanks for your input and for the photo!  They look good...  Are they Jalapenos with Bacon?  What are they stuffed with?  What does ABT stand for/?? Thanks!  Patty

Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    @PattyG - use the search function or google or go to YouTube and you can find a zillion recipes for atomic buffalo turds (ABT's).  They are bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños generally.  Some use other peppers. Those in my pic are jalapeños with cream cheese and a smokey joe wrapped in bacon.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet