Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Forum Etiquette and the errors of my way - OT

mEGG_My_Day
mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653

I was going to post this in the 'closing account' thread, but I have no idea where that thing is going.

However, that thread had me thinking about forum etiquette.  I haven’t been here long.  My first post was last August.  I had a few posts early on that had, what I thought at the time, were slightly snarky or unnecessary responses.  I have gone back and looked and now I think they are just funny or silly.

The point being, in any community, it takes a while to understand the dynamics and assimilate a bit.

I also went back and noticed some things I did (or didn’t do) that I would now find negligent or offensive.  For instance, my very first post was a beef rib cook I did.  I received a ton of positive posts and welcomes to the forum.  I just looked, and I did not ‘like’ or ‘agree’ with one of those responses.   At the time, I didn’t know any better. I have corrected that error, so those of you who responded to my first post have received ‘likes’ or ‘agrees’ 10 months after the fact.

And thanks to all for a very warm welcome 10 months ago.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Let it be said, you're a good mEgg.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Well welcome again. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Well damn, I've been here a while and I don't think I've ever hit like or agree or anything unless I accidentally hit with my fat fingers on my phone.  I guess I should be ex-communicated.  I didn't know.  

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @mEGG_My_Day - thoughtful post and again welcome.  I'm too old to remember back then.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Yes, Welcome again. I find myself at odds internally on here because in person I am a smart a**, snarky, and I am sure I can be perceived as offensive to some in my replies because I am not a bullsh*tter. I tend to use colorful language when something/someone irritates me. I will tell you my opinion whether you like it or not and its your problem to deal with it how you feel you need to. But on here I try to watch myself because I don't want to come off that way all the time. It's also different in person vs. on the internet because in person body language and facial expressions play a large role in how one is perceived. In person when speaking to someone they get a much better feel of your intended meaning. There are times on here that I wanna say what I am really thinking but I know it will be thought of as rude or offensive by some. So I don't.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• I was going to post this in the 'closing account' thread, but I have no idea where that thing is going.

However, that thread had me thinking about forum etiquette.  I haven’t been here long.  My first post was last August.  I had a few posts early on that had, what I thought at the time, were slightly snarky or unnecessary responses.  I have gone back and looked and now I think they are just funny or silly.

The point being, in any community, it takes a while to understand the dynamics and assimilate a bit.

I also went back and noticed some things I did (or didn’t do) that I would now find negligent or offensive.  For instance, my very first post was a beef rib cook I did.  I received a ton of positive posts and welcomes to the forum.  I just looked, and I did not ‘like’ or ‘agree’ with one of those responses.   At the time, I didn’t know any better. I have corrected that error, so those of you who responded to my first post have received ‘likes’ or ‘agrees’ 10 months after the fact.

And thanks to all for a very warm welcome 10 months ago.

I had been holding a grudge, but this clears things up; consider us good. 

Just kidding. 

While it it is always nice to “like” or “agree”, I would never think this an outright obligation. Still very considerate of you to revisit past posts. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Is it forum etiquette to prefix a thread title with "OT" when it's posted in the "Off Topic" forum? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SonVolt said:
    Is it forum etiquette to prefix a thread title with "OT" when it's posted in the "Off Topic" forum? 
    no.  if you put it in the off topic category it would be redundant.   but people do, presumably because they use the view of all threads ordered by last comment date
    SonVolt said:
    Here we go...
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Where we going?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    SonVolt said:

Yes. Double or Triple OTs generally means it’s off the reservation. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    edited June 2018
    Also remember that many of us have met in real life and consumed adult beverages together. A lot of the ribbing is amongst good friends. 
  • SonVolt said:
    Where we going?
    To drop you off at the short-bus stop?

Little Rock, AR

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Good post @mEGG_My_Day. There's a bit of banter on here but everyone is helpful and if you get involved you will learn a lot and have a good time.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@northGAcock Well said Robin.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    all sins committed on friday are forgiven by monday.. .. ..they should put that in the forum rules ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited June 2018
    SonVolt said:
    Where we going?
    To drop you off at the short-bus stop?
    While driving 70 mph?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SSQUAL612

This forum is about food, cooking, having fun with your EGG and similar topics ... please don’t post links or images or create posts that are irrelevant for the purpose of this forum, which includes insulting, offensive, racist, sexist, political, discriminatory, obscene or vulgar remarks or any post which may be found to be in violation of any law or ordinance. This includes posts on topics which have nothing to do with enjoying a Big Green Egg, or which are polarizing or inflammatory in nature. If you do any of this, we will of course delete the post and call upon the Buffalo to determine the extent of your suspension or permanent ban. 

Please make the effort to be respectful of other users, moderators and administrators at all times. We are talking about the BIG GREEN EGG after all, so don’t be a troll -- lighten up and have some fun!

You have every right to disagree with fellow forum members and explain your perspective, however, thou shall not get combative or attack, degrade, insult or otherwise belittle fellow posters or the forum staff or the quality of this community. It does not matter what stature you think you hold in these forums, you are expected to maintain decorum and play nice. The Buffalo is ever vigilant, and doing otherwise will get your account suspended temporarily … or permanently if the situation is blatant or repetitive.

Above all, this is not a gathering place for insults – if you can’t keep it upbeat, at least be neutral – if you have to be snarky, please post elsewhere. 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited June 2018
    “I’m with you fellas”
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I flagged that as a troll post!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Whatever you do, just don't steal another man's flag or insult his airport!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SSQUAL612
    thetrim said:
    I flagged that as a troll post!
    Careful when you summon the Buffalo.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    thetrim said:
    Funny man!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Also remember that many of us have met in real life and consumed adult beverages together. A lot of the ribbing is amongst good friends. thetrim said:

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    You do know that emoticons can be used to help frame the intent/sentiments behind the words in a post...  give them a go some time.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    I have to say Legume is my favorite poster.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.