Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: HVAC

Options
In November of 2016 I had a new complete Trane system installed. It was a 3 ton 17 SEER with a 2 stage compressor. Well it seems that it is stuck in the first stage and it needs to be able to use the second stage in order to cope with the current heat wave. The guy who installed says that it looks like he will have to replace the whole  compressor. It's under warrantee b
ut that will mean at least one more day with internal temps as high as 85.. I cooked a whole pork loin, on the egg of course, Sunday. In the meantime I don't want to do anything that adds heat indoors.

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    Options

Crazy, I'm in the same boat. Our A/C (also a Trane) just went out. Installed new with the house in 2011. Luckily I have a home warranty. 85? I wouldn't mind 85 at all. It's been in the upper 90's here in Dallas the last couple days. They are supposedly coming tomorrow to see what's wrong but my money is also on the Compressor. Why cant this crap happen in the fall?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited June 2018
    Options
    We have hundreds of multi stage out there, never seen one " stuck" curious as to,why they think that...either Stat or Cut got board makes the decision ...it is at least in warranty ....id ask,for another tech 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    We have hundreds of multi stage out there, never seen one " stuck" curious as to,why they think that...either Stat or Cut got board makes the decision ...it is at least in warranty ....id ask,for another tech 
    I called the person who installed it. He is pretty much a one person operation. Since it is under warranty, I don't care if they repair it the expensive way, ie replace the whole compressor. Now If I had to pay for the compressor that would be a different story.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I called the person who installed it. He is pretty much a one person operation. Since it is under warranty, I don't care if they repair it the expensive way, ie replace the whole compressor. Now If I had to pay for the compressor that would be a different story.
    You'll be in the hook for refrigerant and labor...I just question the diagnosis...That compressor is Bullet Proof
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

Crazy, I'm in the same boat. Our A/C (also a Trane) just went out. Installed new with the house in 2011. Luckily I have a home warranty. 85? I wouldn't mind 85 at all. It's been in the upper 90's here in Dallas the last couple days. They are supposedly coming tomorrow to see what's wrong but my money is also on the Compressor. Why cant this crap happen in the fall?

85 inside the house. 88 with a heat index of 106  and 81% humidity outside right now. It was 94 with a similar humidity yesterday.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Even on low stage it should be a de humidifying beast....your sensible load is low latent high....is the suction line ( big pipe) sweating and cold? Is it warm?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    You'll be in the hook for refrigerant and labor...I just question the diagnosis...That compressor is Bullet Proof
    Well I expected that. I will go around the house and check the line but it might be awhile before I repost.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    Well I expected that. I will go around the house and check the line but it might be awhile before I repost.
    Let me know or email is in my profile...aprofile...also take note of the liquid line ( small 3/8" line)  temperature should be a bit warmer than ambient +- 10 degrees 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

lkapigian said:
    Even on low stage it should be a de humidifying beast....your sensible load is low latent high....is the suction line ( big pipe) sweating and cold? Is it warm?
    That line is mostly covered in insulation. The last couple of inches are exposed and cool, not sweating and not what I would call cold. The smaller line next to it is warm. Thermostat is showing 79 inside or a degree cooler than earlier. The meat thermometer has been showing a bit warmer than the thermostat reading when place by it.

If he can't get it done right, I will call the other people that gave me a quote for installation. Their techs are first rate but their sales reps are pirates. They quoted me the same rate for a 14 seer single stage Lennox as this guy charged for a 17 seer 2 stage Trane. That rather offended me as I was an existing residential customer for service and had used them on several commercial projects that I oversaw over the previous 20 years. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    “It’s hard to stop a Trane”.... it’s hard to get one going too. 

• lkapigian
    Options
    ts low on refrigerant....if the LL was cool there could be a restriction but warm ...its Definatly not a staging issue
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2018
    Options
    16i with the Scroll 2 stage with the unloader?
    Or is this the 19i with 2 physical compressors?
    Unusual for compressor failure this early on...imho
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    Options
    16i with the Scroll 2 stage with the unloader?
    Or is this the 19i with 2 physical compressors?
    Unusual for compressor failure this early on...imho

I'm assuming 2 stage scroll 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @lkapigian Not impossible to fail mechanically but, that compressor is very resilient. Just my .02
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @lkapigian Not impossible to fail mechanically but, that compressor is very resilient. Just my .02
    I agree just " stuck in stage 1" is an odd diagnosis ...and if it was, it should still be 80% of capacity ( for an unlioading/bypass) scroll

I can't Even think of the last warranty compressor we have had that was mechanical ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    flux capacitor?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • lkapigian
    edited June 2018
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    flux capacitor?
    That was my second thought, might try new ball bearings 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    two stage scroll compressor. I insisted on two stage due to the high humidity locally. I wanted either American Standard or Trane due to many recommendations and ratings. Since this guy mostly did Trane , that is what I went with.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Would it be wrong for a person to feel a tingle in their undercarriage reading this thread?

Asking for a friend.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    This forum is a killer group of people...

On a side note, hang in there fellas. If it was 85+ in my house, I’d be pantless in a hotel room...
  • lkapigian
    Options
    two stage scroll compressor. I insisted on two stage due to the high humidity locally. I wanted either American Standard or Trane due to many recommendations and ratings. Since this guy mostly did Trane , that is what I went with.
    The condensate should be pouring water right now....even in stage 1
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Yeah my money is on the board. I don't know if I've ever heard of this. In my experience compressors either work or they don't. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    TN_Egger said:
    flux capacitor?
    That was my second thought, might try new ball bearings 
    once this baby hits 88 miles an hour, your gonna see some serous $#!+
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Upgrade to an xv20

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Upgrade to an xv20
    Well that would be nice but I emptied our the change drawer to buy the present one. The roof has the top spot on the critical need list at present.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Upgrade to an xv20
    A lot of times existing ductwork can’t handle the pressure of those ultra efficient units. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    When I sell them i always get out the duct calculator and make sure itll work. That and a heat load to make sure its the right size too

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Upgrade to an xv20
    A lot of times existing ductwork can’t handle the pressure of those ultra efficient units. 
    Thanks for cheery thought!
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I've never had a two stage 'get stuck'. I'm not sure how it would. I think it's a low refrigerant charge issue, possibly an issue with the cut board, but I think it's not switching due to low pressure, i.e. your unit would then freeze.

I am, however, in Michigan. Our demand is lower and I've only installed a dozen or so two-stage A/C units, my own included. I have, however, serviced many. I am a Licensed Mechanical Contractor in HVAC service and installation in Michigan since 2003, D.O.D. Refrigeration licensed since 1995. 

I hope this helps and you get cooled down soon.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Thanks for all of the opinions by technicians, they are appreciated.