Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CR - testing BGE Lump

Comments

• rekameohs said:
    By testing one of peoples least favourite over priced oem brands of lump as the sole competition?
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Pit a bag of rockwood against the briqs. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    So lump is better for those 1/2” steaks. At least there’s that. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    There are somethings that consumer reports is just not good at....TVs Toaster plug and play items that are not subjective , fine
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    If you read the article, due to Goldwyn's emphasis on control above all else, the brand of lump doesn't really make a difference here.  He's focused on control above all else, both for temperature and smoke profile.  He wants his smoke profile to come from the added wood chunks or chips, for example, and not at all from the lump.  

I don't necessarily agree with the perspective but it seems clear to me that his bias towards control largely influenced the outcome.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    I think they understated the ability of ceramic cookers (at least BGE) to control temps. That seems to be the biggest advantage of briquettes
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    This is scary!  I find myself in full agreement with @JohnInCarolina ! =)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    If you read the article, due to Goldwyn's emphasis on control above all else, the brand of lump doesn't really make a difference here.  He's focused on control above all else, both for temperature and smoke profile.  He wants his smoke profile to come from the added wood chunks or chips, for example, and not at all from the lump.  

I don't necessarily agree with the perspective but it seems clear to me that his bias towards control largely influenced the outcome.
    That's Deep. @JohnInCarolina
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    This is scary!  I find myself in full agreement with @JohnInCarolina ! =)
    When I’m right, I’m right. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • If you read the article, due to Goldwyn's emphasis on control above all else, the brand of lump doesn't really make a difference here.  He's focused on control above all else, both for temperature and smoke profile.  He wants his smoke profile to come from the added wood chunks or chips, for example, and not at all from the lump.  

Meathead has always been briquettes over lump. It’s all over his site and he has dr blonder provide the “proof” in several articles/webcasts. Had to refute what he is saying if control
    were the only desired outcome. For me it’s not so I use lump. Cooked dogs and brats  on heb briquettes and good old fashioned lighter fluid this past weekend.  They were awesome. And those mothers burn hot. I overloaded it and we couldn’t get close to it for 30 minuntes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    I figured he was sponsored by Kingsford. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    All I know is that eating food cooked on Briquettes after owning the egg and cooking exclusively on lump. Its not even close. Lump beats Briquettes all day and twice on Sundays. I used to own only Weber Charcoal grills and Smokers and only used Kingsford Blue Bag. Cooking with it now makes me nauseous even thinking about it. I have yet to have anything cooked on the egg with Lump taste like an Ashtray. However cooking with Briquettes on the Weber it took years to master it not tasting that way. We all own Eggs because they are awesome and are among the best grills that exist. They are better at temp control for a reason. So Meathead can keep his kingsford bluebag and his $90 weber kettle. I'll take my BGE and Rockwood or Royal Oak and outperform that tin can any day.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    This is the only charcoal I use anymore for the Weber. Never tastes like off. I don't know anything about the composition but I would guess that it has a higher wood to filler ratio. It burns extremely consistent. It does take considerably longer to fire and it takes longer to extinguish by closing off the oxygen leaving less charcoal for he next cook. $10 at Lowes, I bought a lot on sale, maybe that was 2 for 1.

Image result for stubbs charcoal images
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    All I know is that eating food cooked on Briquettes after owning the egg and cooking exclusively on lump. Its not even close. Lump beats Briquettes all day and twice on Sundays. I used to own only Weber Charcoal grills and Smokers and only used Kingsford Blue Bag. Cooking with it now makes me nauseous even thinking about it. I have yet to have anything cooked on the egg with Lump taste like an Ashtray. However cooking with Briquettes on the Weber it took years to master it not tasting that way. We all own Eggs because they are awesome and are among the best grills that exist. They are better at temp control for a reason. So Meathead can keep his kingsford bluebag and his $90 weber kettle. I'll take my BGE and Rockwood or Royal Oak and outperform that tin can any day.
    I use KBB all the time and have never had anything taste like an ashtray. Must be some other variable at play.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    I've never heard anyone complain about the taste or smell of charcoal briquettes.  Lighter fluid perhaps. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited June 2018
    HeavyG said:
    I use KBB all the time and have never had anything taste like an ashtray. Must be some other variable at play.

It didn't at the time I was only using it, but whenever we visit my in-law's and he rips open a bag of KBB and pours it out onto his Brinkman grill and lights it up (With and sometimes without lighter fluid) it always tastes like an ashtray. Even after the coals are all white. Ive been trying to convince him to shell out the dough for a BGE. In fact the last time I used KBB on my Smokey Mountain before I got rid of it all I could taste was chemical taste and I never use anything other than a Chimney starter and veg oil soaked paper towels to light it. Again I attribute this to the superior product that lump is. KBB is filled with saw dust, clay, and petroleum by-products. Its terrible stuff.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    My brother-in-law says eating food cooked over charcoal gives him heartburn, so who knows. Maybe some people are more susceptible to whatever impurities are there than others.  There's too much nostalgia in it for me to ever say a bad thing about Kingsford... reminds me of childhood ballgames, picnics and camping etc. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a couple of Webers and sometimes use Kingsford briquettes. Been doing it for about 40 years. Lit with fluid early on, then chimney, now torch or chimney. Tastes fine, smells fine. Haven't tried briquettes in my egg. As above, the smell brings back memories!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

It didn't at the time I was only using it, but whenever we visit my in-law's and he rips open a bag of KBB and pours it out onto his Brinkman grill and lights it up (With and sometimes without lighter fluid) it always tastes like an ashtray. Even after the coals are all white. Ive been trying to convince him to shell out the dough for a BGE. In fact the last time I used KBB on my Smokey Mountain before I got rid of it all I could taste was chemical taste and I never use anything other than a Chimney starter and veg oil soaked paper towels to light it. Again I attribute this to the superior product that lump is. KBB is filled with saw dust, clay, and petroleum by-products. Its terrible stuff.
    What petroleum byproducts are in KBB?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    We only talk about lump on Fridays!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    I have a couple of Webers and sometimes use Kingsford briquettes. Been doing it for about 40 years. Lit with fluid early on, then chimney, now torch or chimney. Tastes fine, smells fine. Haven't tried briquettes in my egg. As above, the smell brings back memories!
    I have used both lump and briquettes in my weber kettel. I can say i noticed no differences between the two.. That being said i used lighter fluid once in a while but mostly the starter chimney. I noticed the lighter fluid gets all over the kettle and add some stink and Sh@!  Flavor too.

The article was comparing the efficiency of heating in the pit where by CR stated the briquettes were better and more uniformly provied heat no hot spots.  I have noticed some spots hotter in my bed of lump in the BGE that could also be the way i am using it beeing a noob and all.. i do like the lump better especially the better quality fuel.  
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • TEXASBGE2018
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I cant comment on individual products as I don't make the stuff but I know that in general Briquettes use various types of products as accelerants of which some are petroleum byproducts. As an example some use things such as shredded up newspaper as accelerants and there is ink on those.There is no reason to believe KBB would be any different. Its also got sodium nitrate in it which many would argue is not very healthy for you. Where as Lump charcoal is essentially charred wood.

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited June 2018
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I cant comment on individual products as I don't make the stuff but I know that in general Briquettes use various types of products as accelerants of which some are petroleum byproducts. As an example some use things such as shredded up newspaper as accelerants and there is ink on those.There is no reason to believe KBB would be any different. Its also got sodium nitrate in it which many would argue is not very healthy for you. Where as Lump charcoal is essentially charred wood.

A lot of them use various waxes also some of which are petroleum based.

• milesvdustin
    Match light contains some petroleum products, but not blue bag. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I guess I have a bunch of magical cookers then.  I have no trouble with control in any of them, and I use lump exclusively.  This includes the kettles.

Meathead knows his stuff, but nobody is correct on everything.

Phoenix 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    CR has some “wonder if they really did that test” issues as far as I am concerned. Using briquettes, which have much more ash then lump, in a kamado is asking for airflow problems and kamados are all about air flow. How briquettes can be rated excellent in a kamado is beyond me. 
    As noted above by @GrillSgt Stubbs is good, but i don’t have any issue with either Kingsford Original or Kingsford Comp. Maple Leaf is OK, really high ash. Weber is expensive for the results. 
    WSM and kettle almost always use briquettes, the Primo and BGE only see lump. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

There are no petroleum byproducts in KBB.

There is no sodium nitrate in KBB.

There is no used newsprint in KBB.

• TEXASBGE2018
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

There are no petroleum byproducts in KBB.

There is no sodium nitrate in KBB.

There is no used newsprint in KBB.
    Well thank you mr. owner of kingsford. Thank you for clarifying what your product has in it.

• milesvdustin
    Lowes has 2 packs of 18.6 pound kbb briqs for 9.88 through june 10th