Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rutland gasket instructions

I have a rutland gasket to put on my XL.  Are there instructions posted on the forum anywhere?  'Can't seem to find any.

Thanks!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Is your name by chance Wes Johnson?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I don't know that he has posted them here but @RRP is the fellow here that sells them.

A version of the instructions are on the Naked Whiz site but I don't know if his install instructions have been modified since then - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Nola and Alaska thanks for the link.  That's what I was looking for! 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    is this the right adhesive for the gasket?

Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker,

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Just finished one with the PermaTex Ultra Copper. This stuff is great. It is actually gasket maker, not gasket cement so you can go with a 1/8-3/16" (3-5mm) thick layer across the ceramic edge to edge. It is thicker than the Rutland cement so it won't ooze through the gasket itself as easily. Any that squeezes out the sides can be easily trimmed off with a sharp knife after 24 hours of curing. Otherwise the NakedWhiz instructions are good, just follow the curing instructions on the PermaTex packaging before your first burn which I would recommend be a low and slow. Maybe give it an hour or three at 250 to burn off any residuals before you put any food in it.

More pics (and detail on application) in this album:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/AWWEsQGBTBHsG3Py2

I am actually thinking of trying to make the gasket for my second egg just out of 4-5 layers of this stuff without a fibreglas gasket. It should give a moderately stiff but rubbery seal all the way around.

Be generous:

A little ooze is fine:

Front seam - I'm proud of this!

The GOOD Stuff!!

• kaybee
    I have just emailed NakedWhiz to see about combining my instructions about PermaTex with his otherwise excellent tutorial. We'll see what he says....
  • kaybee
    llrickman said: mi

Mine may look different than yours as it is the Canadian packaging but it seems like the same stuff.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2018
    kaybee said:

Mine may look different than yours as it is the Canadian packaging but it seems like the same stuff.
    The issue is yours as shown is packaged as 80 mL and the US is in ounces of 2.9
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kaybee
    RRP said:
    kaybee said:

The issue is yours as shown is packaged as 80 mL and the US is in ounces of 2.9
    So just different marking for the Canadian market. The amounts are essentially equivalent. For the record, I only used 1/4-1/3 of the tube for my Medium Egg. There is more than enough in the tube to cover any size Egg gasket surface I would think even accounting for the thicker walls of the largest Eggs (although I have never laid eyes on one bigger than XL).
  • kaybee
    kaybee said:
    Just finished one with the PermaTex Ultra Copper. 
    Smoke test time! I may have achieved gasket nirvana!! Blower fan is running flat out and absolutely nothing out the gasket. Smoke is blasting so hard it is practically horizontal out the cap vents (with some leaking between the cap and the Egg - time for a bead of PermaTex around the top of the dome where the cap fits). There's is also a bit of leakage around the bottom vent where the blower fits but it is too slight to show up in the photo. 

As long as this stuff stays adhered (and it certainly looks like it is going to) this is the only way I'll be doing gaskets in the future! Get the PermaTex for your Rutland gasket, anything else is a waste of time!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    How'd you get a gasket from someone NOT named Ron?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95