Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

B&B

I recently picked up a bag of B&B lump at Walmart. That was a mistake. I'd say the make-up of the contents are as follows: 10% perfect size, 10% logs, 30% way too small, 50% dust. 

I usually run BGE brand, as I used to work for a dealer and could get a 20lb bag for $18. Not sure what I'm going to use now...certainly not B&B. 
Pratt, KS

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2018
    MattBTI said:
    I recently picked up a bag of B&B lump at Walmart. That was a mistake. I'd say the make-up of the contents are as follows: 10% perfect size, 10% logs, 30% way too small, 50% dust. 

I usually run BGE brand, as I used to work for a dealer and could get a 20lb bag for $18. Not sure what I'm going to use now...certainly not B&B. 
    Any company can pack up a bad bag.
    Really helps to add your location to your signature line. Lots of Eggheads all of the United States with local knowledge. But they can't help if they don't know where you are located.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    BGE brand charcoal is private branded Royal Oak which can be found in most areas and is much cheaper.  
    Lump discussions here can become more contentious than politics or religion. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Was the mistake buying B&B or shopping at Walmart?
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Legume said:
    Both, Small town living though. 6500 people just won't support any more than some local shopping and a walmart. 
    Pratt, KS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    MattBTI said:
    Legume said:
    Both, Small town living though. 6500 people just won't support any more than some local shopping and a walmart. 
    Skaggs Ace Hardware. You can order online and shipped to the store for free.
    Sign up of their email and they send out discounts all the time. Try some Rockwood if nothing else.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    I buy B&B from Academy Sports.  No issues.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I bought one bag of BnB at Academy, because I grew up in Texas, love Academy, and don't see it unless I'm up in Jax/South GA.  I just buy stuff there to buy stuff there.  That being said, the BnB was fine.  Smaller pieces than my usual go to Fogo, but still a solid bag of charcoal for a much lower price.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    I needed lump and went to get a second opinion. Went to my local Ace Hardware this time for a bag of B&B. They were running a sale for $14.99 a bag. This go around I was much happier. Very little dust. I guess the first bag was the sweepings from the bottom of the burn pile.  Not bad...lots of twigs and branches but it burned well. 
    Pratt, KS
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I think that most of the dust in the bags occurs during shipment. Even the best bag of charcoal can be turned to dust by rough handling.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    I just bought the last bag of B&B at my ace. It’s ok but it has a really strong chemical smell when you first light it.  It takes a while for the smell to disappear.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii