Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled lamb

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited May 2018 in EggHead Forum
Started with this:

Added this. Salt, coarse red pepper (gochugaru), and toasted cumins (mix of regular, black, and "royal"):

And set it up like this. (Italian sausage from our piggies, for lunch).

Let it run at 275°F for 4-5 hrs, then foiled and ramped up the temp to 325°F to get it done in time for dinner. Turned out a tad dry, so next time I'll sear it and stick it in a DO. 

Plated shot looks like a mess, but that's the lamb, red cabbage slaw with lime and ginger dressing, and Zankou-clone garlic sauce. The "tortilla" is actually a sourdough roti/chapati which I've been experimenting with for the past few weeks. These were 85% hydration, and they were the best yet. 

A pile of stuff on a plate... but it didn't suck :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks great from here- definitely on my someday soon list.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Looks good, I've had lamb to where it's been wonderful and I've had it to where I could taste the wool.  Haven't personally cared for it since I've experienced the latter
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Well executed. "Tad dry" isn't too bad w. the slaw and toum. The sprinkle of sesame is a nice touch.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Looks good, I've had lamb to where it's been wonderful and I've had it to where I could taste the wool.  Haven't personally cared for it since I've experienced the latter

Lamb that is getting a little too close to mutton can be less than pleasant, particularly the fat. Also, a lot of lamb is not really raised for eating. I don't know if its the breed, or the feed, or both. It helps to know the source.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I’d crush two plates.  Nice work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    What is 'royal' cumin? Unlike shoulder, leg has less/no marbling so not as 'moist'? What you call mess looks mighty fine to me, would love to steal your roti recipe but have to substitute with ADY though.
    canuckland
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    When are you opening your restaurant? Or at least driving your food truck? Those look awesome. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    What is 'royal' cumin? Unlike shoulder, leg has less/no marbling so not as 'moist'? What you call mess looks mighty fine to me, would love to steal your roti recipe but have to substitute with ADY though.
    Literally translated - Shahi jeera :) Also, when you say black (kaala) jeera, many take that to mean kalonji (nigella seeds). The cumin type of black jeera should be available at any decent size indian store. 

Yes, less marbling/fat, so next time I'll aim more for a braised type of cook.

And here's the SD roti recipe:
    WW flour= 400g
    Water= 340g
    Salt (table)= 5g 
    Starter= 70g

- Leave it out on the counter for 2 hrs, then refrigerate. Can be used right away, but flavor develops well day 2 onwards. By day 5, the rotis will have a nice tangy flavor. 

- Use "chakki ka aata" from the Indian store. I think its a finer grind than WW flour from the grocery stores. 

- Try 1-2g of yeast, and let it cold ferment in the fridge as above. I haven't tried using yeast yet, so I would definitely be interested in how it turns out. 

• caliking
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Well executed. "Tad dry" isn't too bad w. the slaw and toum. The sprinkle of sesame is a nice touch.
     The sesame seeds were added as an afterthought. Just for the picture :)

I made the slaw with the lime ginger dressing to cut the robust flavor of the lamb, and it paired well. 

The toum is a bit of a story. I heard about the Zankou "secret" chicken sauce a long time ago and couldn't get it out of my mind. Finally made some 3 days ago, and have been slathering it on everything. I'm loving the super garlicky lemony flavor of it. 

But I'm not a fan of the paste-like consistency, so i won't add any potato next time. Will likely make it more like aioli or mayonnaise. Besides, it seems that adding potato for that paste consistency is a uniquely Zankou thing, which I didn't find in other toum recipes. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Very nice!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"