Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Completely OT - Fokker!!

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
No, not @Focker.   ;)
It's been 35 years since I got out of this hobby.  Wow.  The models have gotten bigger, and this guy's skills are killer.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_dJfq8u1aE

I had an old Heathkit radio that was broken more than it worked, and was never very good at flying these things.  I got really good a building them (and, RE-building them) and my masterpiece was a Stearman PT-17 (only a 4' wingspan on mine, though).  
Anyone else dabble in this?  I know @nolaegghead just got a drone, it looks like it flies itself (and I'd love to have one follow me on a ski run!).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    That is pretty awesome!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WOWSER!!! I wonder how much money he has invested in that hobby - I bet it is much-o !!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Awesome.  Snoopy would be impressed!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    As was oft said during the war, "Send them Fokkers in their Messerschmitts straight to Hell!!"
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2018
    RRP said:
    WOWSER!!! I wonder how much money he has invested in that hobby - I bet it is much-o !!!
    I’d hate to imagine crashing something like that, on several levels.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited May 2018
    I flew for about 20 years, every weekend Sat & Sun.  I competed in Quickee racing, Scale Warbird Racing Association, and a few IMAC events.

My race plane was a .40 size T-34, with a supercharged YS .91, with worked intake and exhaust.  Prop was so big my spotter had to hold it on the rear wheels and lift the nose.  Front wheel never touched.  Had compression adjusted so it stopped with prop horizontal (hopefully) for landing.  Deadstick every landing.  Ran 85% nitro and 15% oil :smiley:  .... clocked it at 180mph.  Lots of carbon fiber to keep the wings and stabilizers from snapping during full G turns.

Bad picture, but all I have:

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2018
    Not me, but same idea.

https://youtu.be/B_M8mp9fTts
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    edited May 2018
    Awesome...i couldn't fly the ones on a string spinning in circles...pulled the motor and built an air boat...parents loved the film it made in the pool
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    @Ozzie, I can already tell you I've never had the reflexes to do something like that!  Those things are flying!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• JohnInCarolina
    I flew for about 20 years, every weekend Sat & Sun.  I competed in Quickee racing, Scale Warbird Racing Association, and a few IMAC events.

My race plane was a .40 size T-34, with a supercharged YS .91, with worked intake and exhaust.  Prop was so big my spotter had to hold it on the rear wheels and lift the nose.  Front wheel never touched.  Had compression adjusted so it stopped with prop horizontal (hopefully) for landing.  Deadstick every landing.  Ran 85% nitro and 15% oil :smiley:  .... clocked it at 180mph.  Lots of carbon fiber to keep the wings and stabilizers from snapping during full G turns.

Bad picture, but all I have:

Very cool man!
  • Botch
    edited May 2018
    >BUMP!!<

Rather than start another thread, had to post this "other end of the spectrum": an 8-channel P-51 Mustang, that the builder had to design a 3D stability unit to be able to fly it (its extremely fast).  See how big it is!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSgRTPGYEQA

The next video that shows on EweTube shows it in flight, quite amazing!  
    I was an Aero Engineering student my first couple years of college.  There's a quality called the Reynold's Number that doesn't scale up or down like area, velocity, lift, drag, etc.  Leaving out the math, basically the larger a wing is, the slower and easier it can fly; this is true for airplanes as well as birds (watch how frenetic a sparrow flies as compared to an egret).  Note how fast this Mustang has to fly compared to the Dr-1 in the first video; fascinating!  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    >BUMP!!<

Rather than start another thread, had to post this "other end of the spectrum": an 8-channel P-51 Mustang, that the builder had to design a 3D stability unit to be able to fly it (its extremely fast). 
    The next video that shows on EweTube shows it in flight, quite amazing ...... Note how fast this Mustang has to fly compared to the Dr-1 in the first video; fascinating!  
    Scale speed of Mach 3!! That is insane.

https://youtu.be/0QwabcKUTuI
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Here's the piloted end of the spectrum. These things are the hot-rods of the great plains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XQDQIKZug
    Pratt, KS