Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs: SV or not

Options
Sunday ribs.. SV or no SV? I'm doing 6 racks so I may do a 50/50 for taste test if that that is forum advice.

Any changes to following SV?: Simple Rib rub (somewhat sparingly); maybe a little liquid smoke (the horror). SV at 147 for 30 hours or so. Chill; then sprinkle with a little more rub/sauce and indirect on egg w/ smoke wood for 45m-1hr.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but @JohnInCarolina swears by it.  I think it does them for a great long while, so be ready to start soon.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited May 2018
    Options
    +1 for sous vide. I started doing mine like that a few months ago and I don't think I'll go back.

Sous vide at 165 for 12 hours, hit with an ice bath. Put in the fridge until you're ready to cook.

2 hours low with some apple or cherry wood to pick up some smoke, then 375 for a few minutes to put the sauce on and BAM. You can't mess it up. 

I rub mine before the bath and sprinkle a little more before low and slow.

Keep that liquid smoke out. That **** is for apartments with George Forman grills. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited May 2018
    Options
    +1 for nixing the liquid smoke.

The texture and flavor will be a bit different from ribs done entirely on the egg, but not in a bad way. There is something to be said about the convenience factor, as the SV'ed ribs will probably keep in the fridge for a week or so, until you can egg them.

I think refrigerating the ribs for minimum 3-4 hrs before throwing them on the egg for smoke is key. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @thetrim here’s your second favorite forum picture with some Sous Vide Ribs. Since you got here first. 

I've seen you, and that kid is WAAAAAAY too cute to be yours.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    This is pretty much the only way I do them these days.  I go 147 for 18 hrs.

I did 147 for 24 hrs once, and they were just too fall off the bone for me.  I like a little more bite.  So adjust accordingly to what you want.  For me, 30 would be way too long.

I just like the consistency of how these turn out.  They're *always* the same, always great.  I'm sure it's possible to do better ones straight on the Egg, and I have.  I was just never able to get the same consistency cooking them on the BGE.  I also like how you can basically do these well in advance and then finish on the BGE about an hour before you want to eat.  

I think a side-by-side would be interesting.  I say do it and let us know how they work out for you. And I wouldn't bother with the liquid smoke either.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    John, how do you finish them on the egg? 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    thetrim said:
    John, how do you finish them on the egg? 
    Hot and fast, raised direct.  I just look to put some char on them.  They usually only take about 45 minutes.  I add a light glaze of sauce with about 10 min to go.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My experience echoes @JohnInCarolina. Straight Egg can produce better results. To date, my experience w. SV ribs is that I don't like the texture enough that if counterbalances the ease. So I only do the SV when I want to try out different rub mixes on individual ribs, finished on the Egg.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options
    agree to the above. Convenience and consistency are better, though they aren't as smokey as Turbo or low and slow.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC