Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Any retractable awning owners out there?- OT

JoeA
JoeA Posts: 31
Any members have input on awnings?  I have a deck with southern exposure that gets very hot.  Saw one of these roll up awnings over a patio & was very impressed. 

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Costco has really good pricing on them when I was looking at them.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I was real close and ultimately decided to add permanent covered shelter. Keeps the sun off the four season room as well as the patio area. They are a good option though. I just didn’t want to have to retract it when not in use and the benefit to the interior space was what tipped the scale. Good luck!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    I would seriously consider a roll-up, as I hate sacrificing interior daylight into the kitchen with going permanent.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    We have a 20 foot Sunsetter awning. In the summer we could not sit on the back deck for very long prior to having it. I first saw one at my brother in laws. He has the electric one and while it is nice it does move around a bit in the wind. We got the base/manual model and it’s very secure as it has legs and we got some optional braces too.  Our house is just off a small lake so we get a bit of wind. 

I highly recommend these awnings. It is very easy to install and operate. I needed to get 2 buddies to help install it just due to the length. No problem for my wife to put it up or down on her own. We really don’t put it down too much once it’s up for the season.  The only times we do are when we go away or a big/high wind storm is coming just incase. It does make the back side of the house noticeably darker for sure but it also helps keep the house cooler. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • JoeA
    Thanks guys, Costco sells the Sunsetter.  Going to do some homework.
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    After quite a bit of research I settled on an Eclipse awning. The model is the Total Eclipse and has a projection of 14'6" and is about 18' in width. Very heavy construction and in the hot SC sun drops the patio temp about 20 degrees. Not cheap but gives flexibility where a permanent structure is just that--permanent and blocks both light and view from inside.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • JoeA
    Thanks DB, I like the added projection & Sunbrella fabric choices.  With the little research I've done, it looks like cheap can be expensive in the long run.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    JoeA said:
    Thanks DB, I like the added projection & Sunbrella fabric choices.  With the little research I've done, it looks like cheap can be expensive in the long run.
    Buying quality only stings once. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    JoeA said:
    Buying quality only stings once. 
    Quality doesn't cost it pays!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer