Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Felt like Thai last night..

When I was working in lower Manhattan years ago, a bunch of us used to go to this little Thai restaurant.  It was a little hole in the wall but they made the most amazing spicy Thai beef with basil.  Years seem to have have disappeared between now and then and so did the resturant.  Reciently, I’ve been searching for a good recipe be my fix for that dish and I think I found it... here are my adventures.

Used hangar steak for the beef and it worked out well.  

Added red Thai peppers for heat, onions, plenty of chopped garlic, and red bell pepper..

Some baby white Bok Choy...

Then came the highlight of the dish, the basil.  It’s holy basil or otherwise sometimes called Thai basil. Mmmmmm what an aroma!

Next the wet ingredients for the sauce with a little sugar...

now for the chow fun noodles, don’t forget to scorch them a bit.  It adds so much more depth to the flavor....

a good bit of dark soy for color and some lite soy for that salty Unami goodness...

Steam some veggies...

And some pan fried gyoza...

and dinner is served...

You can find the basic recipe at a great web site “The Woks of Life”. https://thewoksoflife.com/2015/06/thai-basil-beef-pad-gra-prow/.  The wite baby Bok Choy and the chow fun noodles were my add..  if you can find the noodles fresh, I highly recommend them.

Southwestern CT

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,392
    Good gawd that looks awesome!   Nice wokkin event you had there.  

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 13,074
    Wow!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• DMWDMW Posts: 13,447
    If you aren't busy tomorrow night and want to stop by, I'll do the shopping, and I have a wok or two. :clap:

Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 2,382
    Damn man. 
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, Smobot, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
    Temperance, like chastity, is it’s own punishment. 
  • UNCHeels08UNCHeels08 Posts: 104
    Holy hell
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Awww, it was nuttin guys.. =)
    Southwestern CT
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 14,132
    I'd be nuttin too, over that meal.
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,543
    Nice cook. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CigarCityEggerCigarCityEgger Posts: 957
    Wow that looks incredible, nicely done 
  • steel_eggsteel_egg Posts: 238
    That looks amazing.
    My wife and I have been on a Thai kick. Now I need to invest in a wok so I can make some of these dishes at home. 

• johnnypjohnnyp Posts: 3,268

incredible.  very well done

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • steel_egg said:
    That looks amazing.
    My wife and I have been on a Thai kick. Now I need to invest in a wok so I can make some of these dishes at home. 

I’d recomend gettin a good carbon steel one.  Stay away from stainless steel, IMHO.  Treat the CS ones the same as you would a CI fry pan and it will do you good.  Also the hotter you can fire it, the better.  
    Southwestern CT
  • steel_eggsteel_egg Posts: 238
    steel_egg said:
    That looks amazing.

I’d recomend gettin a good carbon steel one.  Stay away from stainless steel, IMHO.  Treat the CS ones the same as you would a CI fry pan and it will do you good.  Also the hotter you can fire it, the better.  
    any place I should look?  what about size?  I have a LBGE and a MiniMax.  I'm guessing the MM would get the bulk of the wok cooking.
  • TTCTTC Posts: 737
    Good heavens that is well played sir
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water --  Gallatin, TN
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,845
    Dude... That's a 5 star meal! You did good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • steel_egg said:
    steel_egg said:
    That looks amazing.

any place I should look?  what about size?  I have a LBGE and a MiniMax.  I'm guessing the MM would get the bulk of the wok cooking.
    If you have some near by, good Asian markets may have a few.  CGS also sells them.  You can check out the sizes sold there by Egg model and shop around. If you have a Chinatown like area near by you’ll have a great selection for both size and style.
    Southwestern CT

• TTC said:
    Good heavens that is well played sir
    caliking said:
    Dude... That's a 5 star meal! You did good.
    Thanks.. everyone at home agrees with you too.  Definitely a keeper.  I need to try it on the egg next time to get a better char on the noodles.  We’re lucky to have a wok station in the kitchen -of the non commercial variety- and while its miles above what you can do with a regular kitchen stove burner, the noodles would benefit from the extra heat on the egg.
    Southwestern CT
  • TN_EggerTN_Egger Posts: 645
    Bookmarked.  How would that do on a Blackstone?

A BGE chiminea, a small and a 17" BS in Las Cruces, NM

• TN_Egger said:
    Bookmarked.  How would that do on a Blackstone?
    Might not be too bad.  The issue is when you add the liquid components.  With the wok, it’s easy as it just pools on the bottom and allows you the time to toss the ingredients in them to coat.  It may be a bit more of a challenge on a flat griddle, however.  To be totally honest, if it wasn’t raining that night, I was leaning towards trying it out on the Blackstone as well.
    Southwestern CT
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,989
    edited May 19
    Amazing!  What kind of burner is under the wok?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• It’s a 30,000 btu circular burner, not unlike what you’ll find on a kingkooker.  DCS doesn’t seem to sell them anymore, but here is a link I found of the unit online: http://appliancist.com/cooking/cooktops/professional-wok-cooktop-dcs.html
    Southwestern CT
  • JethroVAJethroVA Posts: 1,080
    Food art brother! nicely done
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.