Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Options
Has anyone tried Frontier lump charcoal? They have it in my local BJs and was wondering how it is. I have been using RO and looking for recommendations on other branda

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    not a fan of it. lots of sparks
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Give it a go and report back with your findings. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    I have tried many brands of lump charcoal through the process (granted only one bag when it sucks) just because I can.  I find that having a solid "go-to" charcoal makes this whole "who's lump is bigger" discussion moot.  Try as many as you can find for a reasonable value but find a foundational brand and ride it til something better comes along.
    BTW- lump charcoal discussions here are more challenging than religion or politics in other places. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    I love FOGO for low and slow but I think they are pricing them self’s out of a customer. I buy GFS branded for my go to. It’s a rebranded RO. GFS supplies restaurants but is open to the public. Sorta like a small sams club food store. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    My lump is bigger than your lump. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Cowboy. Cowboys is the way to go. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Cowboy. Cowboys is the way to go. 
    I actually tell people that have cowboy lump on their carts to put it back.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I love FOGO for low and slow but I think they are pricing them self’s out of a customer. I buy GFS branded for my go to. It’s a rebranded RO. GFS supplies restaurants but is open to the public. Sorta like a small sams club food store. 
    I’m a FOGO fan too, but you’re right, it is too expensive. A local dealer carries super premium and the regular. All I’ve bought has been the super, and I’ve always been very happy with it. I recently received my first 3 bags of RW and I’m giving it a shot. I’ve only cooked twice with it and I can say that it gets nice and hot! My tastebuds have been screwed up due to sinus surgery so I’m not a good judge of the flavor profile of them as of now. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium.