Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much pulled pork to feed 14 people?

I'm sure this topic has plenty of info on it already but thought I would start fresh.  I have cooked several butts on my BGE for the family but wife wants me to cook for 14 (8 adults and 6, 14 yr old boys) this weekend.  My question is, how many lbs of butt should I plan to buy/cook? 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Depends on what else you are having...I'm in the 1/2 pound per person camp when it comes to protein 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited May 2018
    IMHO, go with 1.5 lbs each.  21 lbs total.  I usually don't figure that much, but six 14 year old boys can descend like locusts and strip everything bare.  Better to be safe.  Also left overs are a good thing.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    6 14 year old boys = 12 adults, so cook for 20.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    2.4 servings per pound.  a 14 year old boy is going to eat 3 or 4 servings. im good with 21 pounds as well and you have some leftovers for abt's etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Well my buddy just got done over the weekend hosting 40 people (Mostly Adults) and he cooked 28lbs of meat. He told me when it was all said and done he had around 13lbs left over. So I would go with @lkapigian above and say 1/2 pound each. My mother in law used to own a BBQ business and that was her standard estimate for an adult for catering jobs.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    edited May 2018
    i always do the 16-18lb 2 pack from Costco for our office of about 28 people and its more than enough.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2018
    I would say if you are going to have a lot of other food I would buy maybe 18-20lbs un-trimmed. Trim it down about 2-5lbs and your finished weight will be about 12-15 pounds. You will have some of the kids eat a lot and some not hardly at all. The ladies also may not eat as much as you think. But that would be about 1 pound per person when done and that's way more than you will need probably. My guess is that would be either 2 or 3   8-10 pound butts

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Pork butt is cheap - I would go big (18-20lbs) and plan for leftovers 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I don't really have a good answer, but just want you to make sure you consider pre- and post-cook weight when figuring out how much you'll need.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Buy as much as you can cram in your egg. Foodsaver any leftovers. Better to have too much rather than too little especially now that the wife is involved. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Since you can't figure post cooked weight at the store, this is pre-cooked weight.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Buy as much as you can cram in your egg. Foodsaver any leftovers. Better to have too much rather than too little especially now that the wife is involved. 
    What he said. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    edited May 2018
    2 butts and you should have plenty left for yourself. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You need about an 8-9 pounder pre-cooked weight.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Buy a 2 pak and cook them both. Why the hell not since you already will have the egg going. 

Little Rock, AR

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Side dishes rule!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Here are a few numbers to work with (depending on sides to eat):
    figure on around 50% finish yield for a butt.  Then around 1/2 lb/person.  
    Run the numbers; 14 x 1/2 = 7 lbs finished.  7/ 1/2= 14 lbs raw.  Now you can scale that up or down depending on sides etc.  But better to go long and have left-overs.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I can't think of much that isn't improved by the addition of pulled pork. So make extra,  so you have mo' party later. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Skrullb said:
    What he said. 
    Amen

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• It costs the same to cook one butt as it does to cook 10. My large I easily get 2 eight pounders on the main grate. More if I used the second grate raised. 

My experience is ive feed 12 adults with 2 butts and had a ton left over. Good thing is it freezes great. If your lucky enough to own a vacuum sealer, you can keep it for over a year and it will be as good as the day you smoked it. No lie!

figure you will render off about 40% of weight along with the bone. So 16 pounds of raw weight will get you roughly 8-9 pounds of cooked pork ready to eat. If you go by the 1/2 pound per person rule, you will feed around 16-18 people. Reality is most don’t eat a full half pound including myself (I’m a 250 pound guy).   

So when in doubt, over cook the amount because you will have plenty of leftovers to share or freeze for those busy or lazy days and want a quick awesome meal. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I’m more concerned about the parent/child math. 8 adults implies 4 couples and with 6 fourteen yr old boys that means two couples had twin boys to make this work so 50% of you and your friends are popping out twins which is well above the national average. Have you had your water tested?

Also 20 lbs and plan on leftovers. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.