Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

B&B Lump?

Options
Anyone use it recently? I don't know it but my local Ace has it in stock for $14.99 right now. Naked Whiz has it listed as "average" but that was in 2004.

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    spend the xtra 6 for the bag of rockwood or an xtra 10 for wicked good...

I have used B&B...Meh... :|
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    I have used it and found it to be fine. Some large pieces and enough of the smaller pieces to make things work. I am NOT the leading authority on lump, but your question was if anyone else had used it. You will find a wide variety of opinions on this topic here. 
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • mabyrnes
    mabyrnes Posts: 1
    Options
    When it comes to lump I've found you really do get what you pay for, and although BGE lump is more expensive I find it lasts longer and is generally much better quality (less dust and little bits). I've tried other brands but I think I'll stick with BGE.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Anyone use it recently? I don't know it but my local Ace has it in stock for $14.99 right now. Naked Whiz has it listed as "average" but that was in 2004.
    It's only $15, give it a try yourself. At worst, it might be a little more smokey at first.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    mabyrnes said:
    When it comes to lump I've found you really do get what you pay for, and although BGE lump is more expensive I find it lasts longer and is generally much better quality (less dust and little bits). I've tried other brands but I think I'll stick with BGE.
    @mabyrnes You can save a few bucks and buy Royal Oak lump. BGE lump is made by Royal Oak. You're going to pay extra for the BGE name on the bag
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited May 2018
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    mabyrnes said:
    @mabyrnes You can save a few bucks and buy Royal Oak lump. BGE lump is made by Royal Oak. You're going to pay extra for the BGE name on the bag
    Just because something is made by the same company doesn’t always mean it’s the same product. A Mercedes GT AMG and a C class sedan are completely different beasts. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    mabyrnes said:
    Just because something is made by the same company doesn’t always mean it’s the same product. A Mercedes GT AMG and a C class sedan are completely different beasts. 
    I see where you're coming from. Not sure it's worth the extra $10+ for BGE Royal Oak when it's near identical taste, flavor, and profile of an American Royal Oak bag from Wally World. I could see paying the $10 if it were a more neutral flavor like Rockwood
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I've used the B&B and i really like it. Gives a great flavor..maybe I've gotten lucky compared to some of the other members 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    mabyrnes said:
    I see where you're coming from. Not sure it's worth the extra $10+ for BGE Royal Oak when it's near identical taste, flavor, and profile of an American Royal Oak bag from Wally World. I could see paying the $10 if it were a more neutral flavor like Rockwood
    Agree.  I don’t think it’s worth the money as compared to other premium lump. RO may be the same as BGE or slightly different but I can’t just base it off the fact that it’s all made by the same company. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    mabyrnes said:

Call me when the BGE lump has LED matrix headlights and a driver's assistance package.
    NOLA
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    It's only $15, give it a try yourself. At worst, it might be a little more smokey at first.

I thought that once when I bought Cowboy brand. I threw the bag away after one cook because it was so nasty. I no longer experiment with lump before asking around. I think I'll just stick with my original plan of ordering Rockwood through Ace.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I thought that once when I bought Cowboy brand. I threw the bag away after one cook because it was so nasty. I no longer experiment with lump before asking around. I think I'll just stick with my original plan of ordering Rockwood through Ace.
    That’s a solid plan. No need to stray. Just stick to the RW. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    B&B Hickory, (green and black bag) is a solid fuel for the egg. Local Walmart sells it for $12.99 for 20 pounds. Has many large pieces of coal with very little dust and fine bits. Can be a little smokey and sparky when first lit. Compared to some charcoal around here, I would say it is well above average. Not taking anything away from RW or RO. You can absolutely not go wrong with those either. I never thought I would have to budget charcoal while being semi-retired ;)
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I bought B&B and liked it.  But I got it at Academy, and everything from Academy is TOP NOTCH!  I really just bought it, because my cart wasn't quite full enough.  I don't have an Academy within three hours of my house, so when I see one, the course of my day changes.  I always turn in.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95