Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt fit with extender

Options
So we are having a bunch of people over for Memorial Day weekend and I’ll be making pulled pork. I have the CGS PSwoo and sliding D grid extender (large BGE) that I use for two level cooking for lots of wings, ribs, etc. However I’ve never had to use it for pork butts since I’ve never made more than two at a time. 

So my questions are:

1) Could I easily fit three 8-9 lb butts on one level without the extender? Maybe stacked on their sides? And do you have to do anything special to keep them from falling over as they cook?
2) I may have to do four 8-9 lb butts depending on how the guest list shakes out. With the PSwoo and extender are you able to fit butts on the lower level? Seems like there may not be enough clearance. 

Just trying to plan ahead before MDW in case I need to change my setup. 

Raleigh, NC

LBGE

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have the same hardware set-up and I don't think you can use the extender as designed with butts on the lower level.  As you note, you can stack the butts on the lower level.  If you need to go with four, you could do a test fit-two (normal configuration) on the lower level then lay the extender on those two and place two on top to see if you have enough clearance to shut the dome.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Just did a test fit with pulling the fire ring.  The PSWoo rig fits just fine to give you much more clearance.  You may hav to do a lump reload if you go that way but you should have room.  (Several years ago I thought I had run that way with a very large turkey cook).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I am following along here and interested what you learn. I just had the set up you describe delivered, but haven't had a chance to install yet.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options

I did two ten pounders last weekend with bricks and a 17 inch grid on top with my large. It was tight on the top but it closed. Either the top one got too close to the dome or it caught some direct heat because a little bit of it was pork jerky. Strangely, two people came up to me and said how they loved those burnt to a crisp parts. I don’t know if this helps you, but I figured I’d throw it out there. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Just go out and get another egg. Problem solved
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    You should be able to get 3 on one grid no problem. If you need to put them on their side just put them in a triangle with the edges touching, should be no problem. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You can stick a wooden skewer in them to hold in place.
    Depending on butt size, I think you could get 4 on one level positioning them vertical.
    They will shrink up as they cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks for al the input guys. I think I will maybe try to get four in the 7 lb range if possible, do them vertical on one level and connect them with a wooden skewer for stability like Photo Egg suggested. The store I usually get them from seems to always have them closer to 9 lbs each though. And who knows, maybe three 9 pounders will be sufficient when we have a more final headcount. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Gotta admit I don't see a whole lot of difference between 4 7lb'ers and 3 9 lb'ers-but my math may be off.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • UNCHeels08
    edited May 2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Gotta admit I don't see a whole lot of difference between 4 7lb'ers and 3 9 lb'ers-but my math may be off.  ;)
    Lol yeah you are certainly correct *facepalm*
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    One thing you may want to take into consideration is to have a pan that can contain the added drippings from more than 2 butts. I cooked 40 lbs on my large one time and I had an overflow of drippings in too small of a pan.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    pab said:
    One thing you may want to take into consideration is to have a pan that can contain the added drippings from more than 2 butts. I cooked 40 lbs on my large one time and I had an overflow of drippings in too small of a pan.
    Excellent point
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • UNCHeels08
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @photoegg @pab I have a 14 inch pan for regular cooks and a 16 inch one that provides a lot of coverage for bigger cooks. I hope that one is fine, it is the CGS one so while it’s wide, it’s not that deep (by design I think). 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    @photoegg @pab I have a 14 inch pan for regular cooks and a 16 inch one that provides a lot of coverage for bigger cooks. I hope that one is fine, it is the CGS one so while it’s wide, it’s not that deep (by design I think). 
    I like allot of bark on my pork butts so I trim almost ALL the fat cap off. This also means I don't get as much dripping into the pan. With the Woo setup, It's easy enough to lift everything out and dump the drip pan if needed. Just be aware, that's all. And post some photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    edited May 2018
    Options
    This is 2, 9+ pound butts over a brisket. One of my earlier cooks before started swimming the fat cap. Standing on their side 3 should have fit tight, even raised. You could also truss them up with butchers twine to hold shape.
    Watch your dome thermometer as well. Remove the retaining clip so you can slide it out and drop it back in after you load up the Egg.
    Stabilize you Egg and do not chase the lower temp readings when you add the meat as it will take several hours for the cold meat to warm enough to show stable cooking temps.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • UNCHeels08
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Forgot to come back and post the results. Ended up getting three butts that were all roughly 7.5 lbs each and the fit was no problem other than some subpar bark where they had started off touching. Basically did a triangle leaning o against each other on their sides. 

Starting off:

Getting close:

Done:

Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Nice looking butt!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • RalphieBoy