Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lake House Vacation Cook Ideas

The fam is doing an off the grid vacation at a lake house this summer. Any ideas for cooks while we’re out there? There will be eight of us. We’ll have an Ingles and I’ll probably bring stuff in a cooler.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Are you bringing an Egg with you?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    To help others-I just googled Ingles (thought it may be a new cooking apparatus-nope).  It's a grocery store.  
    @tymaier - your post leaves many questions/interpretations open.  Perhaps the availability and type of outdoor cookers(s) available; general types of food enjoyed by the group; number of adults/kids; any options for fresh caught fish from the lake.  You get the idea.  Bottom line-absent anything else-bring/cook what everyone likes.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Sorry guys meant to clarify! Gonna be there a week so bringing a large egg. Also will have a gasser there! 7 adults and a kid. Fish might happen one night but for sure not a regular item.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Pork butt: it’s easy and any leftovers can be used for sandwiches, or to include in some other dish later in the week.

I think steaks are always a great choice on vacation.  Plus they’re great off the Egg.

Then if you’re up for splurging you could always do a beef tenderloin or something like that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Find yourself about 3 nice TriTips. Use the gasser to sear them...then bring them up to about 118 at about 230-240 dome temp......pull and rest. You will be the Big Green Egg God /Goddess. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Last lake trip, I did two pork butts in one cook.  Started mid morning one day and was done by dinner.  Not only was it great for dinner, but as @JohnInCarolina mentions, we ate sandwiches for a couple days afterward with the leftovers.  Could do a nice brisket too and have the same effect. 

Add to that some steaks one night, burgers or any other regular grill fare and you're set.  Wouldn't overthink it since you're there to have fun and not worry as much about cooking.  Keep it simple and have fun.       

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Spatchcock chickens are always a hit!  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    I've been on a bit of a taco kick lately. Tortillas with beef, pork, chicken, or fish with the usual toppings. Above all...enjoy the lake house getaway
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    easy cooks are best. pulled pork, pork loins, kabobs, hotdogs, grilled corn. if i were doing fish, i would do a fishfry. nobody makes shrimp cocktail any more, makes for a great snack.  lots of easy lunch meat for sandwiches. ham steaks are quick and good for lunch, dinner, breakfasts.  i usually bring a keg =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the one cook for a lazy afternoon that takes longer would be some ribs and potato salad
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Taking the large? Ribs and wings. Great food everyone would enjoy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky