Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John Chapman

Options
I may have asked this before but I can’t remember. I’m getting a thick smoke at temps above 400 or so. I noticed it a while back. I really noticed it the last time I did pizzas as the family complained of the “smoky” crust. I agreed with them as it was more than normal and not very good. I just did a cook around 250 and it was great but then I cranked it a bit at the end to speed things up and right around 400 the smoke went from clear blue to darker white. After I pulled the meat off I opened it up and it stayed even while at temps above 700 or so. Now that most of the charcoal is burned off it is back to being a lighter blue. I’m using Royal Oak and this is different bag since last time I noticed this. Any ideas? It really isn’t a huge deal other than the pizzas, which is kind of a bummer, but we don’t do them often. 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I'm assuming it's the residual grease/fat that's built up on various surfaces burning off at the higher temps. 

Open that dude up every now and then to burn some of that off. I notice that if I do chicken direct, for example, all that fat needs to burn off prior to the next cook. It's pretty nasty smoke until it does so

Others will chime in shortly 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    Hopefully that is it. I’ve just noticed it quite a bit lately. Unfortunately, trying to remedy the problem cost me another gasket. This one was a pretty highly rated one from amazon that didn’t fare so well any recs for those are appreciated as well. 
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    Rutland from @RRP

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Rutland from @RRP
    Not quite sure why I'm being drug in to this as he said he bought his gasket from Amazon.  :|
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Maybe it was an endorsement of your product and him saying he needs to buy a quality product from Ron in Peoria.  Maybe you could even put it in a box that says guarantee on it?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Rutland from @RRP
    Not quite sure why I'm being drug in to this as he said he bought his gasket from Amazon.  :|
    Correct.

And he also says that he ruined it trying to remedy the problem. And he also said that he was looking for gasket recommendations. 

My bad. I won't "drag you into" anymore potential Rutland sales 

• RRP
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Rutland from @RRP
    Correct.

And he also says that he ruined it trying to remedy the problem. And he also said that he was looking for gasket recommendations. 

OH BOY!!! Looks like both of us got this all wrong! My sincere apologies!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Rutland from @RRP
    Correct.

OH BOY!!! Looks like both of us got this all wrong! My sincere apologies!
    NO, it looks like only one guy got it wrong, and it wasn't the guy who lives in Indiana.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Rutland from @RRP
    Correct.

Haha, my thoughts exactly. The internet is a weird place. 

• RRP
    Options
    Oh boy...I can't believe how I stupidly misread @jwc6160 post and then the reply by @ColtsFan. Guess it doesn't make my trying to explain worth the effort since judgement has already been made...RRP is GUILTY, Judge!!!
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    No worries, @RRP. We're good

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Never heard of him.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike