Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Morels - popping up everywhere.

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Took the dog out and these are busting out in my flower bed. Picked a few, left a few to get a bit bigger. Guess I will go for a walk in the woods this weekend. 

Guess I should feel lucky to be able to pick morels within 10 feet of my front door. Just another perk of living in Canada I guess :)
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    OH MAN - I am so jealous! So far we have had such a weird Spring and I haven't found a single one from my usual hunting grounds!

There used to be an egger posting here who lived less than 1/8th mile from me who said "those damn things kept popping up all over his yard and flower beds" until he had a lawn service come in and spray weed killer and then he was never bothered with them anymore... :o:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Slow going for them in Indiana. Need rain bad
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    What a gift. Walk the woods for sure. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    @gmac Nice find. I see your a little south of me but warmer weather will get here sometime. Can you school me on what conditions to look for when sroom hunting?
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Love those things.....glad for you.  We hike and collect them, and cook them for backpacking meals.....with pasta. Great eats...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gmac
    Options
    Sammi said:
    @gmac Nice find. I see your a little south of me but warmer weather will get here sometime. Can you school me on what conditions to look for when sroom hunting?
    I wish I could but I’m fairly new to it too.  I’ve read for morels soil temps in the 10C (50F) range, decent rains and they like dead elm, hickory or ash trees. We have lots of dead ash so that’s what I’m gonna check out. 

I only look for morels because the don’t look like any other mushroom except one, the false morel which is poisonous but morels are hollow and false models aren’t so that’s a pretty easy identifier. Otherwise I steer clear of wild ones because I don’t know them well enough.  
  • YukonRon
    Options
    They also love areas of recent forest fires. That is where we find these things, almost the size of your hand. We found ours around a sycamore stand of trees.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Thanks @gmac and @YukonRon. Northern Ontario doesn't offer much in the trees you've mentioned but they are here somewhere. My dad was a sroom hound and i always relied on his skills to find them, should have paid more attention.....

Sudbury, Ontario
  • Deadbird80
    Deadbird80 Posts: 9
    Options
    We had plenty of rain here in southern Kentucky but it jumped hot too fast. Not a good year for them here
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Checked all of my spots yesterday. Nothing. I will look again tomorrow. We had some rain overnight 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    We had plenty of rain here in southern Kentucky but it jumped hot too fast. Not a good year for them here
    @Deadbird80 Where in southern Kentucky?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Deadbird80
    Deadbird80 Posts: 9
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Deadbird80 Where in southern Kentucky?
    Simpson County 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @Deadbird80
    Be sure to let me know the next time you are in Louisville. Stop by and say hello.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Nice find right there.  This will be the second year in a row here that mushroom hunting has yielded a big fat 0.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    nice score,  i find them in the yard every few years but get mostly the false ones.  pretty sure they came from a bag of mulch i put down years ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Found this Should you be concerned about eating true morels? True morels are normally edible but if a large amount is eaten, or they are undercooked or eaten raw or eaten with alcoholic beverages, one may become ill. One can become sensitized to the mushroom over time; you might have eaten them without problems in the past, but now they make you ill. There is no warning that your body has changed its response to the morel.
    But on the other hand I once became ill without eating anything and drinking alcoholic beverages
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    That’s my county sheriff’s office, hard at work...  I guess I better not post a pic of the dozens of ‘shrooms growing out of my mulch right now...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • gmac
    Options
    I just found two huge yellow morels that I didn’t see in the grass and ran over with the lawn mower. So unhappy...
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    Options
    We have done alright this year probably around 80.  We get permission from the land owner to hunt his woods, lately there have been some poachers leaving cigarette butts... I would be surprised if they had tracked the fellow down and asked permission to be back there.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    Yum. Morels sauteed in butter are heavenly. Enjoy!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    It's on and poppin' in the ol' corn patch. (IA/IL)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    My MIL just moved from the QC last week to our home in Ga, and just last night she was asking me where she could find her Morels around here. No place I know of right off hand, but I tried them once and for me, didn't see the big deal. Actually pretty bad, IMHO. Guess I'm not a shroom' aficionado like others are!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    You are lucky.  Enjoy!
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I like to take the larger ones and quickly sauté in butter. Slice them open and stuff with a mixture of ricotta cheese, sausage ( preferably homemade elk sausage) crab meat and green onion. Top with Havarti cheese and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.

we find them here in Montana the year after a forest fire in lodge pole pine, or Douglas fir forest. Last year we had some huge fires and this summer should be a good one.