Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

“Crust”

Options
Tak
Tak Posts: 145
Hi guys...need some help....I keep developing a “crust” on the bottom of my brisket flats...any suggestions on how to prevent this....I’m running my temp ar 225....any suggestions would be great.....thanks

Comments

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Smoke with the Fat cap on the bottom
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

3 Questions.

1) what size egg? 

2) do you use a drip pan? 

3) are you cooking fat cap up, or fat cap down?

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Just did a 15 pound brisket this weekend.  Cooked it with the fat cap down for about 14 hours at 260 - 275.  Has a nice bark.  If you wrap with foil that will soften the bark.  If you do choose to ftc you can unwrap and toss the brisket back on the grate, grill or broiler for a few minutes per side prior to slicing.  This can help re-firm the bark up again.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You still running the XL with CGS Adjustable Rig.
    What size stone and are you positioning it at the lowest position on the Rig with the brisket on the top grid?
    How much gap do you have between the stone and your brisket?
    You might have to much gap. Hear rolls around stone and up into the bottom of your brisket instead of around your brisket and up into the dome.
    Photo of your brisket on the Egg?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    I did fat cap up....so fat would render down...using an XL....did have a drip pan...did use my adjustable rig...brisket started at 16lb after trimming I was about 13-14....cooked for 15hrs
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

My advice is to make sure that the drip pan is air gapped with the brisket fat cap down.  It will conduct heat from the stone and create unintentional radiant heat.  Also the fat cap will act as a heat shield to protect your meat.  No need to worry about which direction the fat melts, it doesn't run through your meat when it faces upward.

Hope this helps.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA