Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket point craziness

Options
ok so I’m completely dumbfounded here. I have a 4lb brisket point that I put in at 11AM it’s now 6pm and it’s only reading 160 degrees. Does that seem crazy odd? I’ve been holding at 250-275 the whole time. I’ve decided to crank temp up to around 300 to turbo it through. I’ve never had a stall last that long on such a small piece of meat. It was reading 160 around 2PM today. This cow definitely doesn’t want to give up

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    How does it feel?? Id venture something number wise isn’t lining up. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    How is the Brisket comming along?  I've had some very long stalls also, always an adventure.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I wrapped it in foil and turboed it at 325 for another hour because I wasn’t sure about the probe temp being accurate. I’m thinking maybe a screwy reading on the probe as you said. I managed to get enough for chopped beef sandwiches because it was in 2 pcs and the smaller one was done. I left the larger one on to finish. Craziest brisket I’ve ever cooked.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Believe your indications including those that you can calibrate.  Also the feel is the key.  A point will be butter smooth well before a flat will get there.  But with the high fat content you can roll well into the low 200's and get a great outcome.  Next time just " trust the feel"- note the temp and then give it the probe test.  That will give you ground truth regarding the status of the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.