Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control DigiQ or Guru?

Just as the title says, what is everyone using?  I would be interested in one that also is wifi enabled if possible.  

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2018
    One in the same.....BBQ Guru makes the Digi Q.

Flame Boss 300 is what I use and sell though.  Wifi and expandable to three meat probes.  Excellent customer service on the off chance you need it.
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    As @stlcharcoal said guru makes digiq I ordered the flameboss 300 from him and love it it has WiFi and allows you to sleep through the night on an overnight cook and customer service is great had a bad meet prob and called them they mailed out a new one that day. 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    +1 FB300
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    +2 FB300
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    +3 for the flame boss.  I sold my guru, wife got me the FB and I am very happy with it. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    +0 on controllers.
    NOLA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Take a look at Smobot - great controller, wifi and superb costumer service. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    +4 on Flameboss 300.  Awesome system on any grill or smoker!
  • BBQ Guru. Can run in WiFi or hotspot mode, supports 3 food probes out the box.  Great customer service, email and text alarms sent to your phone.  Works with Alexa so you can inquire about pit and food temps and even tweak the settings.  All metal housing for the fan and a circular port mean no accidental melting of your fan housing and you can position it however you want.
    Southwestern CT
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I've used the Auber Instruments, DigiQ, PartyQ, and the Stoker. 

The Auber is great if you're looking for something simple to control your pits temperature overnight. Not a bad option for Benjamin.

I haven't used my DigiQ all that often but it's never given me any issues. 

My PartyQ has been nothing but trouble. It's been in warranty twice already.

I really like my Rocks BBQ Stoker. The wifi option is great. Not the most easy plug and play controller. Thankfully there are awesome peeps here on the forum that will help you get it figured out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    My CyberQ has been problem free. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Stoker. You can have as many food probes as you like!
    And you can have a couple blowers as long as you add a power supply!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Flame Boss. I've got the orginal 100 (most people have never seen that one) and the 200.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Team FB300 here. 
  • TylerLane
    TylerLane Posts: 15
    edited May 2018
    +1 for smobot.  It’s my very favorite nerd toy.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    TylerLane said:
    +1 for smobot.  It’s my very favorite nerd toy.
    And it doesn’t use a blower!
    Two guys with fantastic support. I believe less money than the others. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I have an older version of the PartyQ and it is solid.  Works on batteries, one probe, take it where ever I go.  Bought it from stlcharcoal. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • I did a ridiculous amount of research on this subject.  Despite being a very geeky guy, I decided on the PartyQ.  Mine arrives tomorrow.  My research led me to conclude that the more complex offerings generally had issues related to their Bluetooth, WiFi and/or Cloud contentedness.  I can monitor my cook from anywhere courtesy of my Meater.  If something goes so wrong that the PartyQ cannot control it I'm going to have to get my hands dirty to fix it anyway.  If I did not have the Meater, I would have gone with the Egg Genius but was not excited about relying on some FlameBoss server to keep my Genius functioning during a cook. Too many stories online about their annual Thanksgiving meltdown. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Youngster said:
     I would have gone with the Egg Genius but was not excited about relying on some FlameBoss server to keep my Genius functioning during a cook. 
    Their server isn't required for it to work, only for it to transmit through the internet and text you.  If you don't have internet, you just search wifi for the FB network and connect to it as if it were a router.  Then it transmits all the data straight to the app.  Same goes for the FB 300, 400, and 500.
  • I like the BBQ guru...have two.  old version and cloud based. 

• DigiQ 

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    flame boss, really like mine maybe i can make you a good deal on the 300 to upgrade to a 500.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• stlcharcoal said:Their server isn't required for it to work, only for it to transmit through the internet and text you.

Knowing that would have changed my decision in favor of the Genius.  I did a 16½ hour pork shoulder this weekend.  When I got up at 2 am to wrap it in paper after 7 hours, the eneloop pro batteries I bought specifically for this purpose had died.  I put in the alkaline batteries that came with it and already had a five hour cook on them back in there and they were still good 9½ hours later.  I really don't like relying on batteries.

The reason I believed that an active cloud connection was required for the FB400/Genius was the slew of bad reviews on Amazon that blame Thanksgiving Day Flame Boss server failures for failed turkeys.  This led me to believe that the Orlando server played some kind of active role.

Sometimes it is hard to tell what is really going on.  My Meater temperature probe, for example, is connected to both my iPhone and iPad via bluetooth and my WiFi but is only connected to the Wifi via one of those two bluetooth devices.  When my phone and I get out of bluetooth range the phone gets its information via the cloud not directly from my WiFi even if I am well within WiFi range.
  • FB300 here as well.  And as stated previously their customer service is awesome.  I had a problem with a meat probe and they had one sent out the same day.  Responded to my email with in 15 mins.
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited February 2019
    After reading a lot of these threads, I just ordered my SMOBOT from Curtis. Should have it by next weekend. Sounded like a better solution for me than the fan based approach. www.smobot.com

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Had the DigiQ, bought the FB300 when it died. Like it more. On those off days where the egg wants to be stubborn getting to temperature, I throw on the fan and tell it where to go. Works every time.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Check out FireBoard.  They now have a fan as well. 
    Concord, CA