Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is $625 a reasonable price for a used large BGE?

Hi. I’ve got the chance to purchase a used large BGE for $625. It’s 6 years old but hasn’t been used in a couple years. Only accessories are the nest and ceramic platesetter. Is that a reasonable price?  Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    $625 is steep.  It will eventually be a $625 egg with something cracked and no warranty. 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    It’s worth $400
    Jacksonville FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Where are you located?
    Price is somewhat relative to location.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • seedman76
    seedman76 Posts: 19
    Ok, thanks for the quick replies.  
  • seedman76
    seedman76 Posts: 19
    Photo Egg said:
    Where are you located?
    Minnesota 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Wait for an Eggfest & get a Demo Egg...comes with warranty.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    seedman76 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Where are you located?
    Minnesota 
    Like others have said. Ceramic parts will break. As soon as you pay full price the first time for your first piece....Deal is gone and your in the hole for the next repair.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I also agree with them. (I'm from Minnesota) Poolside has an Eggfest this September. I recommend checking that out. A good way to learn a thing or two about the BGE. I'd also check with some local Aces about demo pricing. What I'd suggest is just to buy the BGE solo. You can pick up the nest and tables 2nd hand for cheap. (I've never spent more than $40 on a large nest) That way your BGE has a lifetime warranty as it doesn't really matter with your nest and tables. Just a thought

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    For reference, a local dealer in GA will sell a LBGE, Nest and Platesetter for $789 + tax. So, as others have said, I don't think it's a good deal at all. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    For reference, a local dealer in GA will sell a LBGE, Nest and Platesetter for $789 + tax. So, as others have said, I don't think it's a good deal at all. 
    Who?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    This is location dependent. I sold two large eggs two months ago,  both for $600 each. They both had nests, one had a platesetter, one had a woo and a pizza stone. I had done necessary warranty firebox and fire ring replacements, and put Rutland gaskets on them. I made an effort to clean them up, and took decent pictures. I sold one in 24 hours and one in 3. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @cookingdude555 - better to be lucky than good any day.  
    Most eggcellent as I always figure 50% of retail for used BGE is the starting point and then work the extras.  I would venture neither of the buyers are on the forum.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Wassis in Florida was selling demo larges at the egg fest for 635. I just couldn’t get them to deliver to Montana, even though I offered to take em fishing for a couple days!!!
    i bought my large used for 375. No nest or
    plate setter fwiw. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    lousubcap said:
    @cookingdude555 - better to be lucky than good any day.  
    Most eggcellent as I always figure 50% of retail for used BGE is the starting point and then work the extras.  I would venture neither of the buyers are on the forum.  
    I wasn’t lucky, and the buyers aren’t uneducated. I know my market well. I watch used eggs closely, and have for years. I priced it according to my market. There are no eggfests anywhere near me, the market saturation is low, and dealers do not mark down. This creates a sub market where used eggs are hotly sought after. Other markets are different. This is my point. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    That's a very reasonable price in So Cal.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Unless it was dirt cheap, I simply wouldn't want a BGE without a warranty. At $600 or thereabouts, you won't miss the difference it will take to get demo egg.
    Stillwater, MN
  • saigodog
    saigodog Posts: 18
    I just bought a LBGE for $400 in Los Angeles off of craigslist a couple of weeks ago, the seller was asking $550 including a brand new cast iron placesetter, brand new egg mates, smokeware cap, cover, and nest.  After bringing it home I discovered a crack in the base and I was kicking myself for not spending the extra $450 for the warranty but I got lucky, the seller felt bad and put in a warranty claim and the base should be delivered next week.  In hindsight, I would just pay the extra $ and have the piece of mind of the warranty.   
    XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA