Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Sh!t rookie mistake

Options
dmchicago
dmchicago Posts: 4,516
Got the Egg ready this morning for a beef rib cook. 
Opened the Egg, it was about 1/3 full of lump from my last cook.

Stirred the lump, add more Rockwood.
Checked the bottom screen, saw some ash, got vac and cleaned out.

Lit Egg.

Went back to check 15 min. later and it hit me.

The smell of chicken fat burning. My last cook was chicken thighs direct.

I don't remember if there is a proper procedure for a fast extinguish.  But here's what I did.
I grabbed a bowl of ice cubes and dropped them on the fire and shut the lid.
Came back in 10, stirred the lump, saw a few hot spots and added more ice.

Came back in 10 and it was out.

Removed all chicken lump to a metal trash can.

Reloaded and relit.

Lesson learned.
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• dmchicago
    Options
    Once the smell was in my nostrils, there was no way I was taking the chance.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    Being lazy I would have just let it burn til the fat was consumed.  
    However, well-played with the ice cubes.  I had to use that technique one time to douse a grease fire that got rolling around 8 hours into a L&S cook.  Managed to kill the grease fire and retain enough of the remaining lit lump to finish the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If you had a Kickash basket you could have pulled it out, dumped the hot coals, and started over. 

Just sayin. Kickash. 

But im with you. I have had more than a few cooks that I forgot were messy. Usually a sauce. Burn it off and start over. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• dmchicago
    Options
    If you had a Kickash basket you could have pulled it out, dumped the hot coals, and started over. 

Been thinking about one.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    This might not work for an inferno fire being fed by dripping chicken fat, but here's what will work for a run away fire. First I close my bottom vent. Then I take 2 or 3 handfuls of chips and place them in a bowl of hot tap water for 5 - 10 minutes. Open egg and pour or dump the wet chips on the hot spot and close lid again. Within 10 minutes your dome temp should be down nicely.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would’ve called in the hazmat remedial team to bag that chicken laden lump, properly clean the egg and dispose of any evidence that said cook ever happened.  

Chicken **** is serious stuff. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Another vote for the kick ash basket solution..... Problem would have been immediately resolved.
    rockwood charcoal and the KAB? Almost as good as having twin granddaughters! But not quite
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    Think I'da rather burned off the chicken fat (couldn't have been that much) rather than risk ice water dripping onto expensive, hot ceramic bowls.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    Botch said:
    Think I'da rather burned off the chicken fat (couldn't have been that much) rather than risk ice water dripping onto expensive, hot ceramic bowls.  
    That is exactly where my mind was going as I read dmchicago’s post..  “Oh no, Humpty Dumpty!”.  Boy was I glad this story had a happier ending.
    Southwestern CT
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Once the smell was in my nostrils, there was no way I was taking the chance.
    You did the right thing. Almost nothing worse than smoke from latent chicken fat in your next cook. Depending on how much was in there it could have continued for the whole cook. Maybe if you were searing steaks and wanted a larger fire in the box, you could have burned it off. Not worth the risk just as you stated.