Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SEMI-OT: Thermoworks Sale

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
15% off everything in the store. Finally ordered the Smoke, Gateway, and extension cables. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Is an instant read thermometer really necessary if you have something like say a weber igrill2

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Is an instant read thermometer really necessary if you have something like say a weber igrill2
    Yes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    DMW said:
    Yes.
    What’s the advantage? I can get almost instantaneous results with my igrill 2 thermometer.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    I’m just trying to justify if spending $90 on a thermometer that’s instantaneous is worth it when I can get the same result with what I have now in say 1.5 seconds. Doesn’t seem like that would be worth it.

• DMW
    DMW said:
    Yes.
    What’s the advantage? I can get almost instantaneous results with my igrill 2 thermometer.
    Leave in thermos are not almost instantaneous, and they certainly do not provide accurate results in 1.5 seconds. For low and slows, leave in thermos are a great indicator of when to check for feel. For lean proteins that you are cooking fast, a good instant read cannot be beat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Ok fine I’ll buy an orange mk4. Take my money thermoworks

• DMW
    Ok fine I’ll buy an orange mk4. Take my money thermoworks
    I have two Classic Thermapens, and 1 backlit classic. Been jonesing for an MK4. Good buy there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• TEXASBGE2018
    Well that was a quick $90 bucks spent. Got the orange mk4 needed one anyways.

• distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Good work! I don't think you'll ever regret having the Pen vs iGrill for non-low and slow cooks. My wife loves mine for daily stuff. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Good work! I don't think you'll ever regret having the Pen vs iGrill for non-low and slow cooks. My wife loves mine for daily stuff. 
    And my kids use it to check the pool temperature. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Best tool I own in the kitchen. It gets used almost every cook. I've had mine for 8 years with zero issues. You'll be giving them as gifts before you know it. I gave one to my sister as a wedding gift and my other sister for a Christmas gift. Both have commented out of the blue how much they like them. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota