Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italian beef

Options
dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, WessB's hot dog bun thread and LawnRangers adobo dog :>) thread has me thinking Italian beef on a nice crusty roll. Interesting the way the brain works not that related but here I am hungry.[p]I've always done this before in the crock pot with my own spices, not the italian dressing packet route, but cooked for 24 hours or so. Anyone tried this in an Egg? I'm thinking some of the wood fire goodness would be a nice touch.[p]H

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Chicago-Style Italian Beef Sandwiches[p]1 (5 to 7 pound) rump roast or sirloin tip roast
    Tri-tip is excellent for this also.
    2 cups boiling water
    3 tsp Better than Boullion beef base mix[p]1 teaspoon thyme
    3 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes more or less,
    depending upon taste
    Salt and pepper to taste-Beef base is salty enough I think.
    1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    6 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed-Use fresh not powdered or granulated.[p]2 green bell pepper sliced in strips.
    2 or more loaves Italian or Vienna bread, French
    or any hard, crusty bread, sliced down the center,
    lengthwise, but not all the way through to the other
    side. Brush with olive oil and toast under broiler. Do this just before serving.[p]Place roast on a rack, in an open 13 x 9-inch roasting pan with the rack in it. Preheat egg to 325 degrees F.
    I use oak wood chunk for smoke.
    Cook, allowing approx. 25 minutes per pound. Roast should be rare 120°. Cool, and slice very thin.[p]To the drippings in the pan, add the boiling water, better than bouillon (1 tsp. for each cup of boiling water used). Add thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic cloves, and sliced green pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
    Take off the heat and
    add the thinly sliced beef and coverfor 5 minutes.[p] [p]Makes 8 to 10 sandwiches

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Painter,
    That is a bit different than what I've done before. I've bought roasts that were at the sell today price and tossed them in the freezer till I had enough to fill the crockpot. Then I'd put it on high for 5-6 hours and then low till the next day. Tender as all get out. Kinda like pulled pork shredded but wet.[p]Maybe my sister who made it and told me how to doesn't know what Italian beef is supposed to be. Makes a mean sandwhich though.[p]H