Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any idea how big a pig you can put on the XXL?

Options
Raideregg
Raideregg Posts: 33
Just added big daddy egg to the family!  A new XXL!  Ready to break it in for the Fourth of July! So question is who has used this big hoss and who has put what size Suckling pig on it.  I assume I can go 25-30 lbs.  I want to maximize this cook!
                  Raideregg
I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
XXL,XL, L and MM

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Easily. Use the search tool and whole suckling pig and you’ll get some good info. Also ping @DMW.  An unreliable guy but he has ideas.  Congratulations on the beast.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Think BGC has cooked a few on an XXL before.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Raideregg
    Raideregg Posts: 33
    Options
    Think BGC has cooked a few on an XXL before.  
    Thanks, I will check it out!

Raideregg
    I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Congrats on the add! The XXL is a beast, but I haven't yet tried whole hog on it. It does chew up a decent amount of lump just to get it up to temp. It's the centerpiece of our patio

But I really don't fire it all that often unless we're having a crowd.
     You can cram a bunch of protein on there, especially if you add a XL Adjustable Rig from www.ceramicgrillstore.com 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Very cool addition, and great looking grilling spot.  Just one time you ought to stack your eggs inside each other like Russian nesting dolls.

Phoenix 
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Great set up, good for you!!!
    O-Town, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    someone did a 60 pounder on a large years ago, a 30 pounder on an xxl would be fine ;)positioning was key, he cut out some backbone out and folded the rear legs up, the pig looked like it was sitting up in the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    DMW said:

Thats an XL rig on a XXL?!?! wholy moley that thing is a beast!
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Love that view...what a great Egging spot.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I have an XL and did a 40lb. pig on it last year.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've had the opportunity to cook on quite a few XXL eggs over the last couple years at the Sunshine State Eggfest. Hope this helps you gauge the size. 

Here's one 65lb pig on an XXL.  (Sunshine State Eggfest 2017)

Here's two 25lb pigs on an XXL.     (Sunshine State Eggfest 2018)

What I have learned about pigs over the years is that smoke kills the skin. Whatever happens in the chemical change during the cook turns the skin to leather. I skip the smoking wood when it comes to pig skin.