Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Egghead_in_Maryland
edited April 2018 in Forum List

What? NO FORUM??

I've heard once I've had pizza from the EGG I would never want conveyor belt pizza again.

Seeking wisdom from the eggsperts, I thought Pizza would have its own forum. I guess not.

Let's hear it.... share your tips please if you don't mind.

The only information that has been shared so far is 600d for 5 minutes.   [???] unvarified

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    I would not go with that high of a temp for your first couple of pies.  Go with 450-500.  It's much easier to control things at that temp, and if there's any sugar in your dough, it won't burn.  

The subforums here are kind of a joke by the way.  I think most everyone here simply views all of the forums at once by default.  With the exception of the Off-Topic forum, rarely do folks bother to place new threads in one of them.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    A good preheat is important, so whatever temperature you're shooting for let it sit there for at least 30 minutes or so before you slide your pie on.  Be sure to put some spacers between your plate setter and your stone too, otherwise you'll burn the bottom pretty good.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited April 2018
    Options
    What kind of of pizza are you looking for? Neaploitan, thin crust, New York, regular crust, pan pizza, deep dish? Temperature that you are going to cook it at is largely going to depend on the type of dough and the ingredients in it. Neapolitan will only take a few minutes, deep dish and pan pizzas can take up to 30 minutes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Parchment paper fixed a lot of my pizza issues.  I don't care if people say it's cheating.

Also, roast a head of garlic while you preheat the stone. 
    NOLA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    There has been lots of discussion on pizza.  You should be able to pick up lots of useful tips with a little review of the past discussions.  Since there are lots of styles of pizza, there are lots of tips and tricks on how to handle them on an egg.  Specific questions tend to get the most useful, on point suggestions.  Chicago deep dish and Neapolitan are quite different and mixing up a discussion of the two (and other styles) will be confusing.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Egghead_in_Maryland
    Options
    Thank you all for your great replies! I will do a little more homework on the various particular styles and start there. great point. I was told a little cornmeal between the plate setter and the pizza stone (or was it between the stone and the pie??). I guess I'll do both for safe measure. Again, replies and additional commits are always welcome and appreciated.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The only use for cornmeal is to be a lubricant to allow the raw dough to slide off the peel onto the stone.  Use as little as possible.  Semolina serves the same function and has a better taste profile for pizza.  Doing both is not safe measure - it only leads to burning cornmeal.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I cook pizza at 500 high in the dome. Works great for me. I have to use Parchment paper because the high humidity down here and I haven't figured out how to work together.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • EGGcellent_Smithers
    Options
    My style (and if it works for me, it's gotta be nearly foolproof!):

Platesetter legs up>grid>pizza stone on that.

Prep pizzas on the pizza peel with parchment paper underneath, trimmed to just a little lager than the pie. Leave a "tab" so you can grab it later. Remember that less in terms of sauce/toppings is better!

Heat to dome temp of 500ish (although I've done 600 with no problem. Let it sit at that temp for at least 30 minutes to make sure stone is hot.

Place pizza/parchment paper on stone and close lid. After 2 minutes, open lid and pull parchment paper out. Close lid and allow to bake for about 6 minutes or until crust browns. Pull off. 

If doing multiple pizzas, it's best to let stone come back up to temp between pies...

Egging in Indy...
  • ilooklikeelvis
    Options
    I attempted a pizza directly on ConvEGGtor (at around 600 degrees). The outer crust was really good but the cheese in the center didn't quite melt before parts of the crust burned.

I realize most would recommend a stone (my Egg is new and I haven't had a chance to pick up a stone) but figured I'd chime in on how it goes without.

On the other hand, for the second pie I assembled the dough in a large cast iron pan. That one came out pretty well, but the dough was more bread-like (well, like pan pizza) than pizza crust-like.
  • RollTideEggHead17
    Options
    I did the same thing when I first got my egg. I attempted a pizza directly on the convEGGtor and it burnt the crust to a crisp. I've since learned that there has to be a space between the convEGGtor and whatever you cook your pizza on as the convEGGtor alone gets too hot. The way I do mine is: convEGGtor feet up, stainless steel grate next, then pizza stone on top of stainless grid and it works flawlessly. I have seen people that do the cast iron pan but I have yet to try that out. I bought the biggest pizza stone that would fit in my egg and I love it.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The search menu works pretty well.
    You can read through days of pizza related posts.
    https://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Pizza

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas