Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options

Comments

• Woody13
    Woody13 Posts: 3
    Options
    How to make dough and cook on egg
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Woody13 said:
    Pizza
    You gonna have to do better than this. Picture, question, comment or help to others. Welcome aboard....just messin with you. Upper box on right is the ticket to posting pictures. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I disagree
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Flour
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ok....you will need a pizza stone, indirect with a raised set up. You want to get the pie raised so that you get reflective heat.... so that the top of your pie cooks along with the crust. You will need to get your egg to 500-550 degrees...slowing your stone to heat up for about 30 min before the cook. Picture of a set up below.

For a first cook....recommended to build you pizza on a piece of parchment paper so it will be easy to transfer from a peel. You will want to let it cook for a few minutes, raise the lid and slide your peel between the pie and the parchment....and remove the paper. Let cook till ready.

With regards to your dough, this is where it can get complex. You might experiment with some store bought dough, or perhaps purchase from a local pizza shop. Once you get the hang of it, you can then move to making your own....which will ultimately get you a better pizza. There are many dough and sauce recipes on the forum. Locate the search feature...and invest some time reading. Learn from the leanings and failures of others. The pizza is not a easy cook in my opinion. Took me about a dozen times before i got it dialed in. It definitely has a learning curve to it. When you get there....you will find much joy. Hopes this helps.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

There are many types of pizza and they have differing cooking needs. In general, I think of the differences in terms of "thin crust/high temp/short time/high hydration dough'" vs "thick crust/lower temp/longer time/lower hydration dough". Many people like what is often called American style pizza. This is medium to medium-thick crust cooked at moderate temps for longer times. 500°F +- works well for this. Good dough recipes are designed for specific cooking temps for specific styles.  

If you narrow down what you are aiming for, you will be able to get some good advice from the pizza experts around here.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Water
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015