Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping Egg Out In Weather

SWMBO will no longer be obeyed and I’m renting a barn apartment with no inside room to store the egg. It’s a large with nest and side tables, whatever they’re called. Thoughts or ideas?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You better check yo’self before you wreck yo’self. You can either be right, or happy. Not both. Assuming you’re married. 

My eggs have have lived out in the heat, humidity, and whatever of Houston.  They’re doing just fine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    This can sometimes be a real lightning rod topic! There are eggers here and there who over the years will swear weather never is a problem to them where they live and I have always said fine! OTOH I was brought up to buy my "tools" wisely and buy the best ones I can afford at the time and THEN take care of them and those quality "tools" should last me a lifetime. 

The decision is yours and not mine since you bought it with your money - not mine.

And lastly - Happy Egging!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Mine lives outside, uncovered, in a Canadian winter. Only issue I’ve had was when I tried to use it at Christmas and it was frozen shut. I had to shove some small pieces of lump through the lower vent and light them with a torch. 
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    My concern is not the ceramics but the metal. I’ve seen some mighty raggedy looking bands and nests out there. Just wonder if there is a breathable waterproof cover for it, that doesn’t cost $200!!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    kweitz said:
    My concern is not the ceramics but the metal. I’ve seen some mighty raggedy looking bands and nests out there. Just wonder if there is a breathable waterproof cover for it, that doesn’t cost $200!!
    A replacement nest is $50 on Craigslist and the bands aren’t terribly expensive. Probably cheaper than buying several covers over the years. Here in the god awful humidity of Georgia, the covers seem to trap moisture and make problems worse. The wasp nest under the cover was a final straw for me. 

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Absolutely no issues with mine outside through a midwest summer and winter. I'd assume a cover would only make problems worse in a humid climate.
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Thanks fellas, appreciate the input. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    The answers will vary by region and just plain personal preference. Mine is covered when not use.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Hmm.  Never covered.  Covers seem to cause more problems then they solve.

My only issue is weathered handle.  Survived Illinois winters and now Arizona summers.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    When in doubt, leave it out.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    thetrim said:
    I thought it was pull it out...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    thetrim said:
    No, it is leave it out.  Pull in out won't protect you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited April 2018
    thetrim said:
    No, it is leave it out.  Pull in out won't protect you.
    You gotta make sure you have a good safe, clean handler if you are going to go in and out, especially if it's wet.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Cover are great if u keep up with putting them on after each use.  I did it religiously for about a month than I became lazy now the cover never goes on.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Mine has been out in the Wisconsin elements for almost 10 year with little issue.  I've redone the wood handle once but the bands have been perfectly fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    out of 4, one had problems, the egg delaminated about half way thru and dinner plate sized pieces fell off. i assume water got in the ceramics during a freeze/thaw/freeze cycle. bge covered it under warranty, its a very rare occurrence, never seen one posted like that here for as long as ive been here.  the wood handle takes a beating, do they still have wood or is it plastic now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    g37 said:
    Cover are great if u keep up with putting them on after each use.  I did it religiously for about a month than I became lazy now the cover never goes on. 

Are we talking about Eggs?
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    To each their own. I hope both of mine last a lifetime. I keep both covered. 
    Madison, AL
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    My egg has lived outside for 25 years in Kansas. Never had it covered and has southern exposure sun year round. I use Zepreserve on all the metal every couple of years. Egg itself looks like it did the day I bought it. The worst problem I've had was trying to smoke in the wintertime and the gasket being frozen shut.