Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turbo butt

anez
anez Posts: 150
After many overnights I've decided to give turbo a try, especially after reading all the positive results from folks on here. 

Butt was a little over 7 pounds, 340 dome temp, indirect. Rubbed with bad Byron's butt rub. Just pulled it after 5 hours. Seems fast but I was getting temps around 205 give or take all over the butt and the thermometer was going in like butter. It's FTC'd for now as I'm gonna eat with friends later today. 

Looks great, we'll see how it tastes later! 

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    looks perfect. nicely done.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Looks like a winner from here. Since I went turbo several years ago I've never gone back to lo & slo. Now I just have to figure someway to put my BBQ Guru to work! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • anez
    Thanks, guys. It turned out great. This turbo style is a game changer! Had a good smoke ring, was moist, great bark. All in just 5 hours. Incredible. I’m sold on the turbo.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Bravo!  I've been scared to try the turbo method but I may have to now! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RRP
    edited April 2018
    GoooDawgs said:
    Scared to, seriously...why?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Great cook !!

RRP said:
    GoooDawgs said:
    Scared to, seriously...why?
    I can’t remember the person that first started the non HDAF turbo but I remember resistance from several people.  

Glad it caught on and people can sleep during the night instead of checking the egg.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • If I remember right a general guide for low and slow butts was about 1.5-2 hrs per pound. Any idea on the cook time for turbo method? I have had great success with low and slow, but the idea of more sleep and faster cook time is very appealing!
    LBGE- North of Atlanta, Georgia.

Hail Southern
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks GREAT!  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Any way to get to the promised land is a good one.  However, for those of us who enjoy the SWMBO eggscape time coupled with the adult supervisory beverages you are making a serious trade-off that should not be discounted.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    If I remember right a general guide for low and slow butts was about 1.5-2 hrs per pound. Any idea on the cook time for turbo method? I have had great success with low and slow, but the idea of more sleep and faster cook time is very appealing!

Approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  30-45 mins per pound

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    If I remember right a general guide for low and slow butts was about 1.5-2 hrs per pound. Any idea on the cook time for turbo method? I have had great success with low and slow, but the idea of more sleep and faster cook time is very appealing!
    IIRC, about 45 minutes per pound.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    Ron I ll buy your guru if you decide to sell it.

• RRP
    divr71 said:
    Ron I ll buy your guru if you decide to sell it.

Thanks for the offer. I was sort of saying that tongue in cheek. Actually after my original  first generation one made by Shotgun Fred pooped out I bought a second one which is even more than just second generation.
    I do an occasional class as well as a contract job so I count on my GURU. Besides that my Guru is my TRUSTED silent assistant maning my Thanksgiving day turkey and my  Christmas ham while I'm busy with company let alone side dishes! Honestly the Guru is worth it's price for TD and CM alone.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Another convert.  My protocol when time matters.  Otherwise I still prefer 275 till done.  Great cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • If I remember right a general guide for low and slow butts was about 1.5-2 hrs per pound. Any idea on the cook time for turbo method? I have had great success with low and slow, but the idea of more sleep and faster cook time is very appealing!

Approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  30-45 mins per pound

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.

This is what I was looking for, thank you! When doing turbo, do you use foil or no foil, or is that a matter of preference? I have had great success with no foil.
    LBGE- North of Atlanta, Georgia.

Hail Southern
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Oh yea!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    looks great thank you for sharing
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    This is what I was looking for, thank you! When doing turbo, do you use foil or no foil, or is that a matter of preference? I have had great success with no foil.
    Primary reason for using foil is to prevent "the stall".  At higher temps, like turbo temps, the stall does not occur.  Unless you like soft bark, go without foil.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• anez
    I didn't use foil and the bark was perfect. Still can't believe how easy and fast this was done, tho I still love the process of the slo and low this turbo style is great when you want it done in a hurry.