Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Primo Oval XL 400 OT

Brason
Brason Posts: 330
Hi Everyone. I am thinking about adding a Primo Oval XL to the family. I have the opportunity to buy a used one for $300. Is that a good deal? Does anyone have any experience with them?

I would to hear opinions.
Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Well, this is weird.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I've not come across any negative comments about them on other forums. For $300 I'd certainly buy one as long as there are no cracks. I think Primo's warranty is like BGE's - only good for the original owner. If it does have parts that need to be replaced you'll need to factor those parts prices into your decision.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    I came real close to buying one. I liked it a lot. Only downside to me was cost, not as many 3rd party options, small dealer network and shipping costs for any warranty replacements. 

I love that it's made in America, too. Real close to my hometown. There is a YouTube video on their plant; it's pretty cool. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I’d buy it, but I like collecting grills. 
  • Brason
    caliking said:
    Well, this is weird.
    What is weird about it? I don't know much about the resale value of primo's as they don'y come up for sale much in my area. 

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Brason
    HeavyG said:
    I've not come across any negative comments about them on other forums. For $300 I'd certainly buy one as long as there are no cracks. I think Primo's warranty is like BGE's - only good for the original owner. If it does have parts that need to be replaced you'll need to factor those parts prices into your decision.

It does not have any cracks except in the firebox. Not really a big deal to me as my LBGE has had a cracked firebox for a few years now and it works fine.

For $300 it almost seems like a no brainer to me for the extra room. 

You are right about the warranty. They only app;y to the original owner. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Brason said:
    caliking said:
    Well, this is weird.
    What is weird about it? I don't know much about the resale value of primo's as they don'y come up for sale much in my area. 

Just that you’re seeking info about a competitor on a BGE hosted forum. Ironic may be more suitable. 

Dont mind me. Was just being ornery in the wee hrs. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    you really need to tip it over and inspect the bottom for hairline cracks, an oval egg is a design flaw ;) really though, you need to inspect the bottom, oval primo bases used to crack alot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    If there are no cracks, for me I think I would  get $300 worth of enjoyment out of it even it only lasted a season or two or you accidentally got "devastated."
  • Brason
    Thanks for the tips.

I will look at the bottom.

You are right it is ironic I asked here instead of their blog. I just know that everyone here has more experience than I do, with just about everything, and has no problem saying their opinion. I would have asked some one with a Primo if I wanted the fanboy opinion.

Thanks everyone

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    you really need to tip it over and inspect the bottom for hairline cracks, an oval egg is a design flaw ;) really though, you need to inspect the bottom, oval primo bases used to crack alot
    Always inspect the bottom.

That's good advice for any situation.
    NOLA
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Buy it as long as you don't see any cracks. I passed on a Primo, for the nearly the same ridiculously low price. Still kicking myself. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Think @pgprescott has cooked on primo he might have good insight 

supposed to be good for two zone 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Sounds like a good deal at that price.  Been thinking of getting one myself, but the main holdback is price.  Like the shape and needing a bigger grill. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    buzd504 said:
    Always inspect the bottom.

That's good advice for any situation.
    Uh.    no.     Not every situation.