Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blow out!

Heated the bge for a pizza tonight.  Got a bit hotter than I would like waiting on swmbo.  I put the daisy wheel on it to chill it down a bit and closed the vent door down, basically where I would set everything for 350.  came out 10 min later at it was at 700.  Still a bit hot but time for pizza so I opened it up and threw the pizza on, tried to close the lid but it was hitting my pizza rig. 
   Slid everything back so the lid would shut... only to reveal a 1/2" under bite. Upon further inspection the 2" of the gasket in the back of the grill is disintegrated, somehow this heated the hinge assembly or band and the weight of the lid being opened caused a under bite...
  I have the bottom door shut and the green cap on it now and shes still at 500 after a hour.  I would be very nervous if it was on a wood deck.
  It looks like I will have to warranty the gasket, bands, fire box and ring (both already cracked). 
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    While looking over the warranty policy I got a kick out of this.

3. METAL COMPONENTS: METAL COMPONENTS: Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron components of the EGG (including the metal bands, hinge mechanism, cooking grid, fire grate, upper vent cap and lower draft door) carry a Limited Five (5) Year Structural Integrity Warranty to the original purchaser. The Big Green Egg makes every effort to utilize materials that resist rust and to apply high temperature coatings on metal surfaces. However, metal materials and protective coatings can be compromised by surface scratches or exposure to substances and conditions beyond BGE’s control. Among other things, chemicals, chlorine, industrial fumes, fertilizers, extreme humidity, lawn pesticides, trinidad moruga scorpion peppers and sodium chloride are some of the substances that can corrode paint and finish on metal coatings. For these reasons, the Warranty on Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Components DOES NOT COVER RUST, OXIDATION, FADING, DISCOLORING, BLEMISHES or REPLACEMENT DUE TO ADJUSTMENT OR ALIGNMENT OF PARTS OR COMPONENTS, unless it also results in a loss of structural integrity or a failure of these components of the EGG.  Band and Hinge Alignment and Adjustment support is available from an Authorized Dealer.

Which one of you figured that out for them!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Here I thought this was about the Southwest Airlines flight engine explosion of earlier today.  Plane landed safely but some serious injuries reported.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I emailed my dealer and they forwarded it to bge but I have yet to hear back, dealer said as soon as they hear something they will let me know. Should I call the mothership?  Suns shining I’m wishing I was egging. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.