Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PineappleBaconShrimp and Steaks with some other stuff

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,829
At the request of some friends who were coming to dinner I made some pineapplebaconshrimp for an appetizer prior to some steaks.  I first mentioned a recipe for these after the 2013 Salado Eggfest.  That is documented here.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149483/pineapple-bacon-shrimp-with-raspberry-chipotle-bbq-sauce-recipe-from-salado/p1

Since then I have learned to use regular or thin bacon and to only soak the shrimp in lime juice for 15-20 minutes.  This minimizes overcooking of the shrimp and the bacon doesn't seem to stick to the grate as much.  I've also added Thai chili powder to the glaze.  Here are the first decent pics of how to wrap them.  The rest of the meal was pretty good, too. And yes, that's a slice of filet mignon laying on top of my NY strip.  Thank for looking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I remember those from Salado a few years ago. They were tasty. 

Also remember thinking "now there's a guy who figured out how make his kid work his fingers to the bone, so Dad can get a few beers in. Smart guy."

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    The filet topped NY   strip reminds me of your 13th donut maneuver, i.e. go inside to get a dozen at Krispy Kreme, so you can  snag a free sample. :)

• Foghorn
    caliking said:
    I remember those from Salado a few years ago. They were tasty. 

Also remember thinking "now there's a guy who figured out how make his kid work his fingers to the bone, so Dad can get a few beers in. Smart guy."

@caliking, I know you have been aspiring to that ever since.  In a dozen or so more years we'll see if you have achieved your goal.

I do have to admit that I don't make these nearly as often since my son went away to college.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    now that's a tasty looking treat!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    blind99 said:
    now that's a tasty looking treat!
    Thanks @blind99

And @caliking, you should know that based on some recent weight gain I have had to cut my doughnut calories by 8%. 

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Those shrimpies look great.  Ever tried putting a piece of jalapeno in there?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    @saluki2007, I have not, but it's an interesting thought.  The combination of lime, shrimp, pineapple, raspberry, chipotle, Thai chile, and BBQ sauce never really spoke to me and said "jalapeno is the missing ingredient".  

But I've only recently learned to really like jalapeno.  As a Texas I've tolerated it for many years, but thought that it overwhelms most things and becomes the dominant flavor in almost everything it touches.  I've recently had some dishes where it was used in smaller quantities and played a complementary role and that might work well here.

San Antonio, TX

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Nice looking grub brother.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Foghorn
    Thank you @leemschu.

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Foghorn said:
    @saluki2007, I have not, but it's an interesting thought.  The combination of lime, shrimp, pineapple, raspberry, chipotle, Thai chile, and BBQ sauce never really spoke to me and said "jalapeno is the missing ingredient".  

But I've only recently learned to really like jalapeno.  As a Texas I've tolerated it for many years, but thought that it overwhelms most things and becomes the dominant flavor in almost everything it touches.  I've recently had some dishes where it was used in smaller quantities and played a complementary role and that might work well here.

I vote against the jalapeno. Never really seems to add much heat things. Thai chiles are a much better idea IMO.  

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I’ve put pineapple and shrimp into ABTs and they are good. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Looking good! Gonna have to give those apps a try!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I've been doing the shrimp with a little twist since I first saw your original post. They are always a hit. Thanks for that first post.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Foghorn
    That's a good thought @gmac.

Thanks @jabam.

And thanks for letting me know @billyray.  I'm glad you like them.  They are always a hit at my place as well.  You describe some improvements (peppery brine, partially pre-cooking the bacon) on the original thread.  Have you made any other improvements?

San Antonio, TX

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    About 5 minutes before they're done, I baste with a Hot Pepper Raspberry Chipotle Sauce or Cherry Pomegranate Habanero Sauce. Both sauces are by Rothschild Farm. Really good
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Good looking stuff right there.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    There is not a thing I would change about that meal. It looks divine.
    Love the wine selections. Cherry Pie Pinot Noir is as good as it gets, and is one of our absolute favorites. 
    Beautiful cook, as always.
    Stay strong on the 8 % reduction.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    That's a beautiful cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I need to make those shrimp for dinner.  Must’ve missed them the first time around, but I know that I need them in my life.  I may use a different glaze since I don’t have the raspberry chipotle at the moment, I’ve been liking this lately and it would probably play nice with shrimps and pineapple.

• Foghorn
    YukonRon said:
    There is not a thing I would change about that meal. It looks divine.
    Love the wine selections. Cherry Pie Pinot Noir is as good as it gets, and is one of our absolute favorites. 
    Beautiful cook, as always.
    Stay strong on the 8 % reduction.
    Thanks @YukonRon.  Yep, eating only 12 doughnuts at a time instead of 13 guarantees me some weight loss. :s

@billyray and @Legume, those variations sound awesome.

Thanks @Dyal_SC and @bluebird66 for the kind comments.  The ginger habanero would probably go great mixed with Rudy's (or some other basically very peppery) BBQ sauce - preferably with at least 50-70% being the ginger habanero jelly.

San Antonio, TX