Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Crawfish question

Options
jeffwit
jeffwit Posts: 1,348
We are doing a low country boil for my son’s 16th birthday in a couple of weeks. We plan on ordering the crawfish, but all the companies only deliver on Saturday and his party is Sunday evening. How big of an issue will it be to have the bugs delivered a day before I cook them? Do I need to rethink what I’m doing?
Thanks!
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    We had a tradition to do them in Colorado and it always fell on a Sunday. You keep them cold and damp and darkly lit and they will be fine. Just order about 20% more bugs than you think you need. Some will die. (If they float when you pour them in the boil throw them out)

I usually just take the sack they are sent in and put them in an outside fridge or cooler on a grate with a drip pan. Then keep a cold water sprayer and wet them every few hours. 

Theyll be fine. Enjoy! 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Keep them in the sack and cool with ice, but not submerged in water. A large ice chest works great with the drain spout open and the lid cracked for breathing.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    We had a tradition to do them in Colorado and it always fell on a Sunday. You keep them cold and damp and darkly lit and they will be fine. Just order about 20% more bugs than you think you need. Some will die. (If they float when you pour them in the boil throw them out)

I usually just take the sack they are sent in and put them in an outside fridge or cooler on a grate with a drip pan. Then keep a cold water sprayer and wet them every few hours. 

Theyll be fine. Enjoy! 

Would you say the 20% extra is good in general or only adding that much if I plan to leave them sit for a day?
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @BugFreak72 kind of a loaded question. I have hosted boils where people haven’t eaten 1/2 lb a piece and some where some coonass shows up with his family and eat 4lbs a piece. 

Do you have big eaters that like crawfish? I typically do 2lbs per person and then add additional for time keeping or who I’m hosting. 

You can always have a post boil shelling party. I usually break out some of the good stuff and put people to work after. Makes great etoufee or crawfish pies after. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    On top of the ice, not in it. Make sure they get some air.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    @BugFreak72 kind of a loaded question. I have hosted boils where people haven’t eaten 1/2 lb a piece and some where some coonass shows up with his family and eat 4lbs a piece. 

A proper coonass can easily eat 10lbs+ in one boil.  Down here we plan 5lbs/person, and usually are just about right.

2lbs/person outside of southern LA sounds about right, depending on the crowd.  Less if they are rookies.
    NOLA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    On top of the ice, not in it. Make sure they get some air.
    Oh yeah if I didn’t clarify...don’t submerge them in ice! 

@buzd504 I would never invite a proper coonass to a boil. My pockets aren’t that deep.  =)

South of Nashville, TN

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    +1 on all the advice given! We have kept them in a pre chilled cooler with the lid and plug open with a wet towel over the sack for 6-8 hours with no problems, just spray them down every once in a while. Post some pictures of the boil!
    LBGE
    AL
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Keep em cool...don’t eat any with a straight tail after they’re cooked since that indicates they were dead when they hit the boil.   When you spray em make it a mist not a strong pressure stream.  Enjoy!!!  Last boil I ate too many...walked backwards for a week. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • buzd504
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Keep em cool...don’t eat any with a straight tail after they’re cooked since that indicates they were dead when they hit the boil.  
    For those that don't know, there isn't really any risk in eating the ones with the straight tail.  You *might* get some off flavors, but I've eaten many with no other ill effects.  Don't toss perfectly good crawfish because you think it might have a straight tail.
    NOLA
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Keep em cool...don’t eat any with a straight tail after they’re cooked since that indicates they were dead when they hit the boil.  
    For those that don't know, there isn't really any risk in eating the ones with the straight tail.  You *might* get some off flavors, but I've eaten many with no other ill effects.  Don't toss perfectly good crawfish because you think it might have a straight tail.
    Just eat em all...what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger.   Guess the old myth was just that.  

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-if-you-eat-a-dead-crawfish
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • buzd504
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Just eat em all...what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger.   Guess the old myth was just that.  

I'd eat both of those.  If the color is right and the shell is firm and intact, I'll usually eat it.  Like I said, occasionally you will get one that tastes really bad, but a few more good ones will take care of that.
    NOLA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Be sure to wash them off before dropping in the boil.  My neighbor did not and got everyone sick......except for me - I think I have a billy goat's stomach.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

I'd eat both of those.  If the color is right and the shell is firm and intact, I'll usually eat it.  Like I said, occasionally you will get one that tastes really bad, but a few more good ones will take care of that.
    Wash em down with Abita Turbo Dog and it's all good.  
  • buzd504
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

Not a big fan of Abita.  Would much prefer selections from Urban South, Parish, or some of NOLA's recent productions.
    NOLA
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    buzd504 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

Not a big fan of Abita.  Would much prefer selections from Urban South, Parish, or some of NOLA's recent productions.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    Are crawfish the same thing as crayfish?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Yes...it's okay for a crawfish to be cray, but avoid a cray cray woman.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This morning....
    Options
    This morning....
    Very jealous.  I wish I could just go pick some up on a whim.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm......butter.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buzd504
    Options
    Plan on 2lb/person if you get crayfish, and 5lb/person if you get crawfish.
    NOLA
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    What about crawdads?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    What about crawdads?
    They are good for smallmouth fishing. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options

Do you have big eaters that like crawfish? I typically do 2lbs per person and then add additional for time keeping or who I’m hosting. 

You can always have a post boil shelling party. I usually break out some of the good stuff and put people to work after. Makes great etoufee or crawfish pies after. 

I was assuming you meant add 20% because enough would die during transport but I take it that isn't a problem.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    Are mountain lobsters the same as mountain oysters?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    Options
    Just call them mudbugs and you know you got the right thing