Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: So much for the window seat.

Options
dmchicago
dmchicago Posts: 4,516
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    A terrible tragedy.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Horrific.  Mother of 2.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Sad. Kudos to the fellow passengers that tried to help her.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Another bad look for GE.  Don't be surprised if this company is no longer around in 5-10 years.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Terrible, but the reality is that these kinds of failures are very rare.  It is essentially a freak accident.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The pilot handled it like a boss. Terrible that someone lost their life, but could have been much, much worse. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    The pilot did great landing a twin engine jet liner after one engine blew up and the plane de pressurized. I do want to know if it was one of the new geared turbofan engines.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The pilot did great landing a twin engine jet liner after one engine blew up and the plane de pressurized. I do want to know if it was one of the new geared turbofan engines.
    Unlikely given the age of the aircraft.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It was a 700 series with the same GE turbofans as all the others.  I don't think they're put any of the new geared engines into service on the 737 yet.  I think they look like the RR engines on the 787 with the "serrations/scallops" on the back.

Still amazing recovery and a testament to aviation safety.  It sucks that someone died, but it could have been a lot more.  Also a reminder to always keep your seat belt securely fastened in flight.  Always buy your kid a seat with a belt, don't do travel free on your lap.  No secured = projectile.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    The pilot handled it like a boss. Terrible that someone lost their life, but could have been much, much worse. 
    "The pilot was a veteran of the Navy," Farnan told CNN. "She had 32 years in -- a woman. And she was very good."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/18/us/southwest-pilot-landing/index.html

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    wow. that is terrifying.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Airline inspection regs were the bottom half of the second stack:

:tongue:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Took longer than I expected to have some Dillweed blame the Donald!  Didn’t hear Sherlock speak up last year when there wasn’t a single airline crash all year long!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    First death in 50 years for Southwest, I'd say that's pretty rare.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    One thing that pretty interesting story was about a guy in a cowboy hat that helped pull the lady who passed away back into the plane when the window next to her shattered out.  

I saw a picture of him and his wife when they got back on another flight, and he let her have the window seat!  Chivalry isn’t dead, brothers!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Took longer than I expected to have some Dillweed blame the Donald!  Didn’t hear Sherlock speak up last year when there wasn’t a single airline crash all year long!  
    :tongue:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It was a 700 series with the same GE turbofans as all the others.  I don't think they're put any of the new geared engines into service on the 737 yet.  I think they look like the RR engines on the 787 with the "serrations/scallops" on the back.

Still amazing recovery and a testament to aviation safety.  It sucks that someone died, but it could have been a lot more.  Also a reminder to always keep your seat belt securely fastened in flight.  Always buy your kid a seat with a belt, don't do travel free on your lap.  No secured = projectile.
    Just read that the woman who died had her seatbelt on.   It’s probably why she only went halfway out the plane and not all the way out.  Pretty friggin terrible no matter what.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Give all the fat and overweight passengers window seats.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!