Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone make use of "residual" heat after a high heat cook?

I experimented with some pizza cooking this weekend, and noticed my grill took several hours to cool off - do any of you regularly make use of that "residual" heat after a high heat cook?  Any tips/advice?

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Brownies.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Cupcakes/cookies/pies.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nope. Probably should, but I never do. I have baked brownies and cakes, but never with "residual" heat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited April 2018
    To clarify, after a non smokey cook.  Desserts absorb smoke.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I use it for a warming oven
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    During peach season, I try to remember a couple peach halves on the grill while dinner is being consumed.  
    And with ALL cooks (high heat or not) I try to have a bulb or two of garlic put in, tops cut off, slightly surrounded with foil to keep upright, and a blop of olive oil over the top.  Once cool, fantastic spread on toast, meats, salad dressings, Cheerios, etc.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Baked sweet potatoes or regular baked potatoes. You can wrap them in foil it the smoke bothers you though I like it.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Baked and stuffed apples are good.  Something like these

https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-apples/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    I've cleaned my CI, re-oiled and then popped it back into the BGE to dry it ... Seems to be ok - usually wait till it gets down to around 200F or so...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    ill put the chimney cap back on and stick the daisy wheel inside. Helps melt off any fat and keeps it from getting gummy.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    I sometimes throw on some big chunks of pineapple in a foil pan - with a cinnamon sprinkled over them.  When we finish eating, they are a good, warm, and reasonably healthy dessert.  And they go great with ice cream.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Dry herbs for @Jeremiah 's brownies :grin:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    ill try warming some brandy in it next weekend, maybe apricot =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    I've put heads of garlic wrapped in foil to have roasted garlic.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I almost always cook Sunday dinner on the egg, and I always spatchcock a chicken for a few weekday lunches after dinner is done. Whole chickens are cheap. $4-$6. The egg is already lit and it seems such a waste to shut it down. Chicken takes well to any situation. If it's a butt, ribs or brisket, etc., I crank the heat and leave it indirect. If it was a hot cook, like steaks or chops, I shut it down a bit, pop in my woo and cook it direct at the felt line or higher. 

After long cooks, it's a great way to use up the charcoal to start fresh next cook while burning off the low and slow residue. 

The garlic idea is great. It made me think of doing that APL garlic next time.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    "pop in my woo"...

just sayin'...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    I assume you are talking with the sniffer on amen bottom vent closed right?  Otherwise, you really aren’t saving much.

i never cooked with it shut down in fear of a smoldering fire taste.  I assume if it was in an enclosed container it would be fine though (covered in foil or in a Dutch oven)

i have, however taken food off, snuffed it, ate dinner, just open the lid and to make s’mores on it on many occasions.